Peaberry V2 with PowerSDR

General discussion and support for the Peaberry SDR V2.

Peaberry V2 with PowerSDR

Postby N8VB » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:06 pm

Hello,

I have completed my V2 kit and it works OK with HDSDR. However, I would like to use it with PowerSDR-IQ since the transmit functionality is more fleshed out than what is available with HDSDR. It does not appear to be possible to both receive and transmit with PowerSDR since there is no way to switch the sound card input/output between the Peaberry (in) and speakers (or line out)(out) for receive and then microphone (in) and Peaberry (out) for transmit. Am I missing something obvious?

73 Phil N8VB
N8VB

Re: Peaberry V2 with PowerSDR

Postby N8VB » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:24 pm

OK then... Has anyone had success using the Peaberry V2 for receive and transmit with any other software than HDSDR?

Phil N8VB
N8VB

Postby KC5SB » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:36 pm

Phil, I have wondered about this also. I use PowerSDR-IQ with my SoftRock Ensemble and prefer it to HDSDR. However, I am not finished with my Peaberry yet, but would like to use PowerSDR-IQ when I get it finished. I have been unable to find any information about this so far, but haven't really looked hard yet as my Peaberry V2 is still under construction.

Bill KC5SB
KC5SB

Postby N8VB » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:57 pm

Hi Bill,

When you are using an external sound card, PowerSDR uses the sound card mixer (on compatible cards) to switch between the line in/microphone and the line out/speakers. Since V2 has its own ADC/DAC, there is no capability to have a sound card mixer do this. HDSDR lets you specify what devices are used on receive and transmit separately, so it works with Peaberry V2.

Unfortunately, HDSDR's transmit capability is really primitive compared to PowerSDR. I am hoping that I am missing something, but it looks like HDSDR is the only software right now that will work with the Peaberry V2 for transceive. This is kind of disappointing.

73 Phil N8VB
N8VB

Postby KC5SB » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:19 pm

I struggled with sound card issues with the Softrock and PowerSDR-IQ until I got a Delta-44 (supported card). It worked fine after that. However, it is tethered to my desktop computer with the mess of audio cables. I am excited about the Peaberry V2 because of the integrated sound card and the ability to have a USB only connection with my laptop computer. This way I can have a much more portable setup. I considered the USB2SDR for the Softrock, but when I saw the Peaberry V2 in the latest QST I decided that was the way to go. Besides I enjoy building equipment and learning about how it works.

Work has interfered with finishing my Peaberry - I have the RX working and am in the middle of the TX build - hope to get back on it tomorrow. Maybe someone will chime in with an alternative to HDSDR later.

Bill KC5SB
KC5SB

Postby AE9RB » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:37 pm

Has anyone asked on the PowerSDR-IQ support group? I've had customers tell me they were using PowerSDR-IQ but I haven't seen anyone share their setup info.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/powersdr-iq/
73 David AE9RB
AE9RB
Site Admin

Postby N8VB » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:12 pm

I have just posted a message asking. I will post any replies here.

73 Phil N8VB
N8VB

Postby N8VB » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:50 am

Well, I posted a question to the PowerSDR-IQ group, but apparently my message is held in moderation. I will let you know if they allow my question and, if so, if there is any answers.

73 Phil N8VB
N8VB

Postby N8VB » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:41 pm

It looks like it is not currently possible to use Peaberry V2 with any of the PowerSDR variants because of the elimination of the microphone input and speaker output. PowerSDR does not have the capability to switch between the proper sound devices for rx and tx. It looks like HDSDR is the only game in town at present for the V2. I have not found any other software besides HDSDR that works for both receive and transmit.

73 Phil N8VB
N8VB

Postby AE9RB » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:46 pm

The Peaberry SDR works with HDSDR, Quisk, DSP Radio, PowerSDR-IQ, ghpsdr3-alex and dozens of others that receive-only. The claim that HDSDR is the only game in town is absolutely false.

I just tried PowerSDR. I don't normally have access to a Windows machine but I did today. Put "Peaberry Radio" in the audio tab and (your other sound card) in the VAC tab. This program is notoriously hard to get working. I'm sorry it's not working for you but it does for others.
73 David AE9RB
AE9RB
Site Admin

Next

Return to Peaberry SDR V2