Switching over to Win 8.1 is challenging me

General discussion and support for the Peaberry SDR V2.

Switching over to Win 8.1 is challenging me

Postby KC8UD » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:42 pm

So, I'm not as savvy under the hood of Windows 8.1 as I'd like to be and not finding this very intuitive. It's been a long time since I installed all the software and drivers on my Win XP laptop which is now to be retired and I'm starting over with a new computer. Is there an installer for the Peaberry driver that David modified? I've downloaded the folder and unzipped it. Now what? HDSDR is also installed. Nothing shows up in Device Manager that I recognize as being related to the Peaberry operation.

The new computer is one of those little HP Stream Minis. This is a bit of an experiment. Its a tiny computer but would make a nice devoted computer for SDR if it proves itself worthy. I'm having good luck running SDR Sharp on it along with an RTL SDR dongle and operating my meteor radar with this rig. It just about maxes out the processor but I think if I keep it devoted to one task at a time it will handle it.

Any tutoring on installing the drivers to WIN 8.1 would be appreciated. I also have the little HP computer set up for dual boot between Windows and Linux Mint 17.2. Don't know much about Mint yet but wanting to learn. I think Quisk may be my next experiment once I get the Peaberry running with Win 8.1.

Gary
KC8UD
KC8UD

Re: Switching over to Win 8.1 is challenging me

Postby KC8UD » Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:02 pm

Is anyone else having this issue with Windows 8.1? I download HDSDR and install it. Then download the Peaberry Windows Driver file from this forum. Follow directions in the Peaberry manual to find the DG8SAQ-I2C file and right click to perform UPDATE DRIVER and point it to the folder where the Peaberry downloaded files reside. The system then tries to update then errors out saying it found the files but could not complete the process because a file may be corrupt and possibly a subject of tampering.
WHAT THE HECK? Started all over again. Wiped out all the files and uninstalled HDSDR then did fresh install...and so forth. Same error comes up.

I hate to go back to Windows XP but just might do it.

Any help please!!!

Gary
KC8UD
KC8UD

Postby enghamradio » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:24 am

The problem is the driver is unsigned. You need to Google how to install unsigned drivers in Windows 8.1. It involves rebooting with certain options set. Then you can perform UPDATE DRIVER. It will warn you the driver is unsigned. I went though this with windows 8.1 and just went through it again with Windows 10. I had my radio working with windows 8.1 and now with Windows 10.

Dennis
KE2GT
enghamradio

Postby KC8UD » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:05 pm

This is not going well. I have changed the permission in the BIOS to allow unsigned drivers to be installed. I have placed the driver in the folder along with the application and there was no success. I've tried using Zadig to install the driver but to no avail. The Device Manager does see and list the Peaberry as a device but I cannot get a driver loaded for the si570. I can even receive something on the Peaberry and see the waveform and waterfall working but I have no control over tuning and cannot perform the sound card set-up in HDSDR.

If someone has been successful with Windows 8.1 then I would appreciate a step by step tutorial. Windows XP worked so well with this radio but I just cant go back there. Either I'm obviously missing a step or Windows 8.1 will not work for this device, in which case my Peaberry may be up for sale soon because as it is now I cannot use it.

Thanks,
Gary
KC8UD
KC8UD

Postby enghamradio » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:29 am

Below is a link to a step by step guide to install unsigned drivers:

http://www.howtogeek.com/167723/how-to- ... d-drivers/

After the computer reboots you will be able to update the driver without an error.

Dennis
KE2GT
enghamradio

Postby KC8UD » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:47 am

Thanks, Dennis.

As I stated earlier, I've done that and tried placing the driver in the application folder which didn't work, and then tried installing the driver using Zadig which also did not work. I don't understand what I'm missing, hopefully its something simple.
KC8UD

Return to Peaberry SDR V2