More than one Peaberry

General discussion and support for the Peaberry SDR V2.

Re: More than one Peaberry

Postby W4MMP » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:28 pm

uv199 wrote:Hi Ron, I have two V2's I built and use regularly. 160, 80, 75m and 60,40,30,20m. You make a comment " This is relationship to me designing and building a multi rig interface". Are you wanting to design an interface to be able to use multiple Peaberry's or designing a multi band rig? Personally I have no problem switching them out when I want to work a different band group. I was actually hoping the next rig Dave made would be a Multi band rig as I had no plans of building anymore V2's. They work great but the next interest for me would be a Multi Band rig. I do use my V2's with the k5bcq 20watt amp as kz1x describes to your reply and saw that BCQ does make the multiband bandpass filters so that may help.
Let me know if I can be of any assistance. A multirig version of a Peaberry would probably be welcomed by many on this forum that have built and use the Peaberry..
Paul

HI Paul,

I also have two Peaberry V2s. And as you I manually switch between them. My initial idea was to design and build a "multi rig interface" which would allow multiple V2s to appear as one rig. This would also require a new or modifications to an existing SDR host application to allow the host application to transparently handle multiple V2s. This was before David dropped production of the V2. Now I am in the process of rethinking this. I am not sure what path I will take. I for one really like the basic design of the V2. Although it has a few short comings, I think it is a quite adequate rig. David is obviously a quiet capable designer. The choices he made with the PSoC and the DAC/ADC chip were very good. In fact if I were to use a newer version of the Cypress PSoC the entire SDR processing chain could be accomplished on a single chip (with the exception of RF interfacing, RF front end, PA and such). I have no idea how well the on chip DAC/ADC components work (noise, bandwidth and such). That requires investigation.

A multiband band rig based on the V2 architecture may be the way to go. Which is why I am looking at the rig from India. (I'm not having much luck contacting the designer, however). My overall goal is to get something out to the ham community that is easy to use, of good radio characteristics and at a really good price.
Ron / W4MMP
W4MMP

Postby donde » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:51 pm

I'm happy to help. But please start another thread

OK Ron will do today. Thanks very much. 73 Don
donde

Postby BRIANV » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:15 pm

Hi Ron,
I have two that I use daily .
brian wb7qdr
BRIANV

Postby W4MMP » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:27 pm

Hi,

I just created a survey for folks to respond to. It might be easier than replying to this thread.

The survey : http://www.poll-maker.com/poll393530x233f4f17-15
The results: http://www.poll-maker.com/results393530xeFa3Dde6-15

Please take one minute and respond to the survey. It is quick and easy
Ron / W4MMP
W4MMP

Postby therrick » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:32 pm

Ron, since you have ignored my post I will assume you do not need/want help. Good luck to you in the development of the new Peaberry. It was and I am sure will be an excellent low cost SDR radio. Good luck to you with the future development.
Tim Herrick, KQ8M
Charter Member North Coast Contesters
kq8m@kq8m.com

AR-Cluster V6 kq8m.no-ip.org
User Ports: 23, 7373 with local skimmer, 7374 without local skimmer
Server Ports: V6 3607, V4 Active 3605, V4 Passive 3606
therrick

Postby W4MMP » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:35 pm

therrick wrote:Ron, since you have ignored my post I will assume you do not need/want help. Good luck to you in the development of the new Peaberry. It was and I am sure will be an excellent low cost SDR radio. Good luck to you with the future development.

Hi Tim,

What? I did not intentionally ignore your post. I was simply not sure what to ask for in the way of help. Perhaps if you made a few suggestions, I could respond to them.
Good grief !
Ron / W4MMP
W4MMP

Postby therrick » Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:36 pm

Ron,

I'm sorry but when someone doesn't say a word I for one take it as ignoring when they answer someone else afterward. I would think a simple acknowledgement or possibly a question about it at least lets me know that some sort of consideration was made. I do not know what you need help in and since you are the lead in this you would know what you need and question in those areas. I was hoping for at least a private email since my email address is at the bottom of every post.

My offer is still there but again not knowing what you need I do not know what role I can fill. After 44 years of ham radio and electronics involvement to some small extent I am finally going to college for a degree in electronics technology. Being disabled (CHF) I have a lot of free time.

As I stated in the first post I am learning about the PSoC and the programming of. I am fairly good in C/C++ programming. I know my way around both ends of a diode so I get get around that.
Tim Herrick, KQ8M
kq8m@kq8m.com

therrick

Postby W4MMP » Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:57 pm

Hi Tim,

Some times I'm just slow in responding as my mind gets going in a bunch of different directions.

So, now that I think of it, if you would like, take a look at merging David's latest PSoC firmware fix with mine. David's latest release fixes a very minor timing bug. There are aspects of the firmware that I just never got my head around such as his custom components (FracN and SyncSOF) which is where the fix is.
I want to stay with my version of the firmware as things move forward and keep CW generation and management in the firmware. I firmly believe that is the best place for it as there is no real good reason to burn up host CPU cycles generating time sensitive, tight loop operations such as generating Iambic CW.
David's latest firmware source: https://github.com/AE9RB/peaberry
My CW/Iambic firmware source: https://peaberryv2iambic.codeplex.com/

Do you own a mini-prog3? It is an absolute must when working with the firmware.

Moving forward the firmware will need to be modified to remove the really kludgy method for communicating CW management info between the Peaberry and the host application (currently HDSDR) and modify the existing firmware API with new op codes to communicate CW management information.

The default host application may become Quisk. It is the only open source host application I have found that actually works on multiple platforms and is easily modifiable. Do you have experience with Linux? The first platform in my "grand plan" is to implement on Linux first.

Would you like to get involved with PCB design and development? KiCad is my choice for the EDA (electronic design automation). It is free and open source and most importantly produces non proprietary Gerber files.

I really need to create a project plan :o . I have hundred ideas in my head. Most of them goofy I'm sure and I need sort out the wheat from the chaff.

I hope this provides some guidance on where I could use a hand and thank you very much for your offer to help out. I apologize.

It would really be great if this could become a collaborative effort by the general Peaberry community. I know there are there folks like you that have experience in various areas of software and hardware. Truth be told, I spent the last ten years of my career as a technical manager. Technically, I know just enough to be dangerous :lol:
Ron / W4MMP
W4MMP

Postby therrick » Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:28 pm

Thank you Ron.

Could you email direct to my address below.

Thanks
Tim Herrick, KQ8M
kq8m@kq8m.com

therrick

Previous

Return to Peaberry SDR V2