quisk configuration

General discussion and support for the Peaberry SDR V2.

quisk configuration

Postby W4MMP » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:24 am

Hi,

Does anyone have a working Quisk configuration. I'm not having much luck with getting the sound devices set up properly. For the life of me I can get Quisk to send sound to the speaker on my Raspberry PI 2. If you have a working configuration on Windows or Linux please pass it on.
Ron / W4MMP
W4MMP

Re: quisk configuration

Postby DJ&OA » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:48 am

Hi Ron,

Don't worry, be happy.

Peaberry and Quisk are most convenient under Linux, but take care of some points which may cause a lot of headache.

1. Never download Quisk from any repository. If you did so, remove it and download it from Jim's home page. Quisk-3.7.2 is excellent.

2. Be generous, provide your peaberry with at least 13.0 Volts (preferably 13.6 V), otherwise it complains with a pumping noise.

3. Be patient with the Linux sound system. You have no chance to get all at once. Start with receiving only, comment out everything relating to microphone capture and microphone samples sent to sound card. As soon as receive is ok, you may play with microphone.

I use 64 bit Ubuntu 14.04LTS on my most up to date computer and it is happiest with pulse, whereas my Eee PC 1005HA used for mobile prefers ALSA (hw:) for sound_capture and sound_play, but plughw: for the same devices for mic_play and microphone_name, respectively . So as soon as receive is ok, play around a little bit.

4. Keep in mind that peaberry V2 only may manage a rate of 96000. The remaining devices should be left at a rate of 48000 to be compatible with digital modes.

5. The 'config' button in quisk is your friend. Press it and then select 'Sound'. It will show you what is available on your computer. 'Status' will show you your mistakes, if any.

7. Linux changes the order of USB devices randomly on reboot unless you indicate f.i. in /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf' (or elsewhere) your preferences. In the beginning, check with aplay -l and arecord -l how your sound devices are enumerated. If your .quisk_conf.py says 'name of sound play = "hw:0,0" and you or linux connect your speaker on the next reboot to card 1, you of course do not hear anything.

If you still should have problems, please provide the output of aplay -l and arecord -l or the information you get on pressing 'config' and the 'status# and later 'sound' in quisk.

Good luck and 73

Rainer, DJ6OA
DJ&OA

Postby W4MMP » Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:00 am

H Rainer,

Here are the audio devices on my Raspberry PI 2:
ron@squireoaksfarm-radio ~ $ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA], device 0: bcm2835 ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA]
Subdevices: 8/8
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
Subdevice #3: subdevice #3
Subdevice #4: subdevice #4
Subdevice #5: subdevice #5
Subdevice #6: subdevice #6
Subdevice #7: subdevice #7
card 0: ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA], device 1: bcm2835 ALSA [bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI]
Subdevices: 1/1
card 1: SDR [Peaberry SDR], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
card 2: Device [C-Media USB Audio Device], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
ron@squireoaksfarm-radio ~ $

I would like to use the C-media device for the speaker and microphone. Would you provide a sample .quisk_conf.py using the above audio device information. Below is what I currently have configured:
ron@squireoaksfarm-radio ~ $ more .quisk_conf.py
from softrock import hardware_usb_new as quisk_hardware
from softrock import widgets_tx as quisk_widgets

si570_direct_control = True
si570_xtal_freq = 114211833

sample_rate = 96000
playback_rate = 96000
name_of_sound_capt = "portaudio:Peaberry"
name_of_sound_play = "portaudio:Peaberry"
channel_i = 0
channel_q = 1

usb_vendor_id = 0x16c0
usb_product_id = 0x05dc

Note: Portaudio is not an issue. Portaudio is working fine. With the above configuration Quisk is displaying the received audio from the Peaberry properly. I see the signals in the "graph". What I can not get configured is the audio for the speaker. I just want to hear what the Peaberry is receiving :roll: !!
Ron / W4MMP
W4MMP

Postby DJ&OA » Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:44 pm

Hi Ron,

Looking at your .quisk_conf.py, there seems to be a basic misunderstanding of the concept of the peaberry and similar SDR's having at least one built in sound device (peaberry V1 has two of it) to avoid the requirement for an external sound card connected to the computer.

With the peaberry v2, its built-in sound device is switched by the microcontroller between:

1. receiving (therefore: name_of_sound_capt) the sample signals from the receive mixer and sending it via USB to the computer for further processing to a computer sound device (name_of_sound_play) connected to the speaker,

2. sending (therefore: name_of_mic_play), to the transmit mixer, the microphone signals received via USB from the sound device (microphone-name) of the computer which is connected to the microphone and pre-processing the microphone signals.

Therefore, the six lines of your .quisk_conf.py relating to sound with the speaker connected to the C-Media USB hould be:

sample_rate = 96000
playback_rate = 48000
name_of_sound_capt = "hw:1,0" # ALSA for lowest latency
name_of_sound_play = "hw:2,0" # ask quisk, whether the playback device of the C-Media is hw:2,0 or hw:2,1, see below
channel_i = 1 # peaberry specific, check for images and reverse if required
channel_q = 0 # “

There is be no need for the additional complication of a second sound device (C-Media USB, unknown to me) if the bcm2835 comprises both an audio_in and audio_out device (start quisk, press the 'Config' button and select the 'Sound' tab for finding out the ALSA name of the bcm2835 playback device). If so, you may connect the speaker to the audio-out of the bcm2835 and (later) the microphone to the audio-in thereof. Then of course: name_of_sound_play = “hw:0,0” (or hw:0,1, quisk will tell you the name of the playback device). In any case, you will need amplified speakers.

If you later on want to go digital, use (in Linux) the loopback device of ALSA instead of a second sound card in the computer.

Please advise whether you get sound from your speaker by now. Otherwise start quisk, press the Config button, select the Sound tab and let me know what you see on the screen.

73, Rainer, DJ6OA
DJ&OA

Postby W4MMP » Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:25 pm

Hi Rainer,

Success! Thanks very much for your assistance. The confusion for me was in the name of the variable: name_of_sound_capt . It is not intuitive that this is BY-DIRECTIONAL .I am a long time user of HDSDR and within its configuration parameters there are two separate variables for the radio (from the application perspective): "in from radio" and "out to radio".

As for the audio hardware built into the Raspberry PI, there are two audio devices neither of which support audio input. Which is why I was leaning towards the C-Media device.

Here is my current configuration:

si570_xtal_freq = 114211833

sample_rate = 96000
playback_rate = 48000
name_of_sound_capt = "hw:1,0" #Peaberry Radio
name_of_sound_play = "hw:2,0" #C-Media USB audio adapter
channel_i = 0
channel_q = 1

usb_vendor_id = 0x16c0
usb_product_id = 0x05dc
Ron / W4MMP
W4MMP

Postby DJ&OA » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:40 pm

Hi Ron,

Congratulations !

Now you may start with transmit, based on the parameters known.

One try would be:

# Microphone capture:
microphone_name = "plughw:2,0" # Name of microphone capture device
mic_sample_rate = 48000
mic_channel_I = 1 # Soundcard index of mic capture audio channel, signal at tip or ring?
mic_channel_Q = 0 # Soundcard index of ignored capture channel

# Microphone samples sent to soundcard:
name_of_mic_play = "plughw:1,0" # Name of play device
mic_playback_rate = 96000
mic_play_chan_I = 0 # Soundcard index of mic I play channel, check for images!
mic_play_chan_Q = 1 # Soundcard index of mic Q play channel
mic_out_volume = 0.8 # Transmit sound output volume (after all processing) as a fraction 0.0 to 1.0

# something to play around in case of imperfections:
# key_poll_msec =50
# data_poll_time = 20000
# latency_millisecs = 250
# button_font_size = 8 # if you have a small screen

Have fun!!
73, Rainer DJ6OA
DJ&OA

Postby kk4tye » Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:49 pm

Here you go
# This is the config file from my shack, which controls various hardware.
# The files to control my Peaberry V2 SDR for the improved version
#

si570_xtal_freq = 114285000
button_font_size=12

usb_vendor_id = 0x16c0
usb_product_id = 0x05dc

# from http://quisk.973856.n3.nabble.com/Quisk ... 71689.html
data_poll_usec = 10000 #default is 5000
latency_millisec = 150 #default is 150

sample_rate = 96000
playback_rate = 48000
name_of_sound_capt = "hw:2,0"
name_of_sound_play = "plughw:0,0"

channel_i = 1
channel_q = 0

# For Peaberry V2
# Microphone capture
microphone_name = "hw:3,0" # Name of microphone capture device
mic_sample_rate = 48000
mic_channel_I = 0 # Soundcard index of mic capture audio channel
mic_channel_Q = 0 # Soundcard index of ignored capture channel

# Microphone samples sent to soundcard:
name_of_mic_play = "plughw:3,0" # Name of play device if CW or mic I/Q is sent to a sound card REQUIRED FOR TRANSMIT
mic_playback_rate = 96000 # Playback rate must be a multiple 1, 2, ... of mic_sample_rate
mic_play_chan_I = 1 # Soundcard index of mic I play channel
mic_play_chan_Q = 0 # Soundcard index of mic Q play channel.
mic_out_volume = 1.0 # Transmit sound output volume (after all processing) as a fraction 0.0 to 1.0

#Digital Mode
digital_xmlrpc_url = "http://localhost:7362" # URL for control by XML-RPC
#digital_input_name = "hw:1,0" # device name for transmit audio
#digital_output_name = "hw:1,1" # device name for received audio
hamlib_port = 4575 # Standard port for Quisk control. Set the port in Hamlib to 4575 too.

graph_refresh = 10
waterfall_scroll_mode=0
Mike/KK4TYE
kk4tye

Return to Peaberry SDR V2