Any source for the PCB layout and compiled PSoC code?

General discussion and support for the Peaberry SDR V2.

Any source for the PCB layout and compiled PSoC code?

Postby kc8oom » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:00 pm

I'm really interested in building the Peaberry SDR. I was dismayed to see the post stating that all funding was diverted elsewhere and kit production has ceased. With the construction manual and the schematic, I ought to be able to source all of the components myself. I can probably find a programming interface to use for the PSoC. However, I still need the PCB and the code for the PSoC. Is there any way I can get the PCB layout and the compiled code for the PSoC? Again, I would really like to build this SDR, and would be very interested in buying the kit. Failing that, I would be willing to get everything separately and having PCBexpress print a board for me.

Thanks,
Jeremy
KC8OOM
kc8oom

Re: Any source for the PCB layout and compiled PSoC code?

Postby W4MMP » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:04 pm

Hi,
I have asked David a similar question and as yet have received no response. I think it is a shame that production has stopped for the Peaberry. But, to answer one of your questions, I have worked extensively with the firmware for the Peaberry V2. You will need a MiniProg3 programming device. After the Peaberry is built at least up to the point of a physically functioning PSoC3 (supporting voltage regulators, 10 pin connectors, etc.), the firmware may be uploaded to the PSoC. The binary is available on this forum. You will also need a copy of Cypress Creator 3 (it is a free download from Cypress). David probably has a firmware installation jig that has some type of ZIF socket for the PSoC3 which is used to upload the firmware to the PSoC3 he had supplied with the kits. But for one offs what I have mentioned is probably the way to go. You will not be able to use the USB Bootloader as a fresh PSoC3 from a distributor does not have the boot loader firmware installed.
Ron / W4MMP
W4MMP

Postby kc8oom » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:25 am

I have access to the engineering labs of two universities, I ought to be able to find a compatible programming interface. The hard part is the PCB layouts. If AE9RB is no longer going to manufacture this kit, it would be awesome of him to post the appropriate files to the forums so we can continue making the kits ourselves.
kc8oom

Postby kz1x » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:01 am

To light up a raw PSoC, you could use an Elnec BeeProg type unit plus one of these:

http://www.elnec.com/products/programming-adapters/DIL48_SSOP48_ZIF_300mil/

if you can find it. I think that's the right adapter.

Or, you could do as others have suggested, install the raw chip on a (partially) populated Peaberry board and program it using the suitable Cypress dongle.

Yes, you're right: if David releases the Gerber files, anybody could kit and build a PB v2 but the cost would not be low in onesies.

Since what is needed in the SDR space IMHO is not more radios but better software, I hope people will focus their talent and time on that area.

Steve KZ1X
Last edited by kz1x on Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kz1x

Postby W4MMP » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:04 pm

Since what is needed in the SDR space IMHO is not more radios but better software, I hope people will focus their talent and time on that area.

I'm working on that, slowy, but working on it ;)
Ron / W4MMP
W4MMP

Postby kc8oom » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:09 pm

I disagree. The Peaberry was pretty much the only sub-$200 quality SDR with transmit capability. We need more good, cheap radio kits to get people interested and building. David, if you're not going to build them anymore, could we get the PCB layouts, please?
kc8oom

Postby kz1x » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:17 pm

Maybe I am missing something.

What's wrong with this kit:

http://fivedash.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=7

at $89 ?

Add this:

http://www.amazon.com/Syba-SD-CM-UAUD-Adapter-C-Media-Chipset/dp/B001MSS6CS

and two of these:

http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021818

And you get to within spitting distance of the Peaberry, for less.

WAAAY more SoftRocks and variants have been sold than Peaberry radios, and they are in no 'danger' of being abruptly withdrawn from the market nor are they supported by a single individual. For newbie builders, the SoftRocks are the safe and less costly choice.

If David does release the PBv2 Gerber files (and I wouldn't if I was him) you won't be able to kit the radio in unit quantities for the $149 he was charging.
kz1x

Postby W4MMP » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:26 pm

Ah, come on Steve, really? You have been on the board for quite a while. I'm sure you have read the thread(s) comparing Peaberry to the Softrock.
But for "just because", what the peaberry has that the softrock does not:
1) ATU port
2) AMP port
3) 4 bands verses three bands
4) On board sound chip (less wires, mess)
5) Easily programmable micro processor.

Here is the post that David posted some time ago: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=454

However, I do agree with the single source issue. I firmly believe the reason there a far more Softrocks in the field is due to the Peaberry not being marketed properly. If the Peaberry was properly productized and marketed I believe it would do well. There should be build options such as kits supplied with all the SMD devices installed with the remainder of the components to be installed by the purchaser. As for cost, that is always a matter of quantity. Somehow the Raspberry foundation sells the Raspberry PI 2 for $35 (Micro Center - $29). I know, they must have sold many thousands by now, but the cost has always been $35. How do they do it?
At any rate, I have always liked the Peaberry V2 for its various features which is why I have stayed with it for almost two years. But perhaps it is time to move on.

I disagree on the issue regarding not releasing the files for PCB production. If David is no longer interested in producing the V2 (which is apparently the case) then what is lost if he releases them? He looses no revenue.
Ron / W4MMP
W4MMP

Postby kz1x » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:32 pm

Ron

Yes, I am well aware of the 'benefits' of the PB, as I had four of them at one point, built 3 of them all myself, and still have one.

However...

1. The ATU port connects to the Elecraft T1 that is out of the price range for most newbies and in any case throttles the overall cost analysis as it is as costly as the radio itself
2. The amp port is novel but not an insurmountable add on to other rigs, and, what amp? I installed the two extra FETs and used the HR50, but I don't know of anyone else that did that. That amp kit is $300 and is among the cheapest options out there.
3. The internal sound card has its charms, but dropping 2 wires for the additional $60 cost isn't a good trade IMHO and often can be a hassle with software anyway
4. Four bands ... as in, 60-40-30-20 on the PB? 60 meters wasn't valuable IMHO and there's a ton of interest in covering MORE bands, a prospect where two Ensemble TXRX can make more sense than two PB units
5. Here's the $20 programmer for the processor on the Ensemble: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11801

We'll need to agree to disagree on the 'value' of these differences.

In addition, the far more challenging build on the PB is evident from the board comments content you and I have both seen. Even seasoned builders have been flummoxed. And, the PBv2 transmitter is microphonic.

I can have the PB 'stuffed' for about $10 per board locally here in NC, in lots of 100, not counting the through-hole devices or the caps on the bottom.

Lastly, David could easily sell the board design ... unless he gives it away, at which point it's worth nothing. I am not at liberty to comment more about this.

Steve KZ1X
kz1x

Return to Peaberry SDR V2