CW/Iambic/Semi Break-in Firmware

General discussion and support for the Peaberry SDR V2.

CW/Iambic/Semi Break-in Firmware

Postby W4MMP » Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:28 pm

Hi,
I have started a new thread for the modified Peaberry firmware. The previous thread is becoming a bit long in the tooth. This will be the official thread for the time being.

OK, the alpha version received a promotion to beta. Information may be found at: http://peaberryv2iambic.codeplex.com/

David, please lock the previous thread.
Ron / W4MMP
W4MMP

Re: CW/Iambic/Semi Break-in Firmware

Postby W4MMP » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:14 pm

Firmware version V15.12 has received a promotion to STABLE and is the recommended release.
Ron / W4MMP
W4MMP

Postby W4MMP » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:20 am

Hi,
The next version is about to be released. This release replaces CW hold time and internal Iambic element timers which were essentially software loops with PSoC timer and counter components. The components run asynchronously to the main program which provides much more accurate timing. The iambic element timing is spot on. At 18WPM the dit and space times are 69ms. The dash time is exactly 3 dits long. But, I really need advise on the CW hold timer. I would really like input from the more experienced CW operators on how long the hold time should be at any given CW speed. Currently the hold time is directly related to the set CW speed. Should the hold time be ratio of dits to WPM based on WPM? Example: 5WPM with 50 dits hold time. 30WPM with 8 dits hold time (30 / 5 = ratio 6:1). I would really like to keep the value of hold time as some type of ratio related to WPM. I'm running low on flash memory in the PSoC and need to keep it in reserve for future enhancements such CW message storage/management and hold time as a ratio requires just a simple equation to calculate the value.
Ron / W4MMP
W4MMP

Postby W4MMP » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:12 am

Version V15.13 has been released. I have taken the firmware about as far as I can so this is the last release for some time to come.
http://peaberryv2iambic.codeplex.com/
Ron / W4MMP
W4MMP

Postby W4MMP » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:51 pm

Version V15.30 has been released. This version supports using an option of using the AMP port to control a revised CW interface device. The ATU port is returned to normal functioning. Using either the ATU port or the AMP port is optional and may be selected by setting a magic number. A new user[x] frequency manager file is available with the new magic numbers.
http://peaberryv2iambic.codeplex.com/
Ron / W4MMP
W4MMP

Postby donde » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:15 am

Hi Ron,

I'm about 1/2 way to completion of Peaberry V2 kit. Starting the RX section. When I'm fully operational, I'll look into the no sidetone issue
Do I have to reflash the PSoC to put in your latest firmware? I have no idea how to do that. I do need sidetone like many. I've always sent
CW that way.

I can't believe how the design was completed with sidetone not incorporated. Maybe you could elaborate? Is it the HDSDR program? Will another
one work instead and provide sidetone? I surly don't want to be a pest, but would like to know.

Thanks,
Don ... W6RWN
donde

Postby W4MMP » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:55 pm

Hi Don,

Let me say up front, finish the build and get it working using HDSDR before doing anything with the firmware. If you have had no experience with this type of rig before and the associated host software, there are a number of "moving parts" that need to coordinated that you may not be familiar with. It is not difficult, simply follow the build instructions which are very clear on what needs to be accomplished. Follow the instructions, exactly.

OK, when it comes to CW, yes that was a major disappointment for me when I started down the path with the Softrock RXTX type of gear (I actually started with the Softrock RXTX and switched to the Peaberry for its on board sound card feature and modifiable firmware). So long story short, my firmware is one solution to fixing the problem with the CW key jack not really providing CW functionality. There is an other solution provided by David. He has produced a CW only application that works really well. I suggest that you take a look at it first: viewforum.php?f=6 . It provides everything an CW operator needs. My firmware is focused on making CW work with HDSDR. Just a different way to skin the cat but it is a bit more involved when it comes to set up and operating. David's solution is a software only (host application) solution and is very straight forward. My solution is a combination of firmware and hardware (side tone generator) and is a little less straight forward but maintains 100% compatibility with HDSDR. Your choice.

Let me know what path you want to take.
Ron / W4MMP
W4MMP

Postby donde » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:35 pm

Hi again Ron,

Thanks for the prompt reply. I too have built many Softrock kits, including the RX TX Ensemble. I got it working, but the problem of getting the right sound cards to work together was a real hastle. So like most of my Softrock adventures, it was a great learning experience with SMT and software. But, never put any of the kits into continuous service. I think my enjoyment was to demo the stuff I built tro others. And they would say "I can't even see the parts you soldered." SDR is still exciting. And with the Peaberry and the built in sound card function., I thought I would give it a go again.

OK on me continuing on to completion and then I'll look into the CW issue. I'm reading the CW section of forum now, but wanted to get back to you.
I know I entered the Peaberry project a bit late in the game. But I see they are still selling. Do you think design cycle is reaching the end? And there will not be a V3? But Ron I see you're keeping it alive! That's great. Reading a bit more on the Cypress site and the PSoC, I see now a free programmer to upload new or edit firmware. I'll get to that later. As you see, I've lost some time from the last Softrock I built? Never heard of Cypress till now!

OK, I'm going to heat the iron again for a while.

Take care ... Don
donde

Postby W4MMP » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:39 pm

Do you think design cycle is reaching the end? And there will not be a V3? But Ron I see you're keeping it alive! That's great. Reading a bit more on the Cypress site and the PSoC, I see now a free programmer to upload new or edit firmware. I'll get to that later. As you see, I've lost some time from the last Softrock I built? Never heard of Cypress till now!

I'm am pretty sure the V2 is in the "mature" state, except for perhaps firmware modifications. I hope David keeps the production line running ;)
V3? If anything I think David might create an all band version, but that is only a guess on my part. I have my "pie in the sky" plan for the V2 (viewtopic.php?f=6&t=530#p3079). I think the V2 is a great rig. It actually works much better than what I would expect from a $150 rig. I have zero complaints about the rig. I am curious why it doesn't have a larger audience.

The PSoC 3 was a great choice by David. It is a very sophisticated but yet relatively straight forward to program.
Ron / W4MMP
W4MMP

Postby donde » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:50 pm

"pie in the sky" plan for the V2

I read your ideas on how to further the development of the V2, or use a new model number.
It sounds good to me. With your positive endorsement of the product, I do want to finish and see how it works.

You said, "I'm curious why it doesn't have a larger audience"
Maybe it's the name :D

Don
donde

Next

Return to Peaberry SDR V2