Peaberry and Quisk

General discussion and support for the Peaberry SDR V1.

Peaberry and Quisk

Postby DJ&OA » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:01 am

Hi all,

After a minor problem I got my Peaberry operative, but have been without success so far in operating it under Quisk.

Is anybody operating the Peaberry under Quisk or knows what changes are required to usbsoftrock or any other files to get it recognised.

Any hint would be highly appreciated.

73 Rainer
DJ&OA

Re: Peaberry and Quisk

Postby AE9RB » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:42 pm

Quisk doesn't need any modification to support Peaberry. Follow the instructions included with Quisk for setting up a RXTX Ensemble. You do not need usbsoftrock.
73 David AE9RB
AE9RB
Site Admin

Postby DJ&OA » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:10 am

AE9RB wrote:Quisk doesn't need any modification to support Peaberry. Follow the instructions included with Quisk for setting up a RXTX Ensemble. You do not need usbsoftrock.

David:

Thank you for your response.

I also thought that Quisk does not need usbsoftrock, but Quisk reports 'No permission to access the Softrock USB interface'. With Ubuntu 12.4, dmesg gives some more information, namely '[ 337.912660] usb 4-2: usbfs: interface 1 claimed by snd-usb-audio while 'python' sets config #1', so ther seems to be a further problem.

On trying HDSDR under XP to glean further information, I was able to start the peaberry and find Peaberry Audio and Radio and to tune the SI570, but got only noise even with a test oscillator.

Since the original problem was a nasty unrecognized solder bridge between pins 26 and 27 of PCM3060, possibly the FST3253 was damaged, so that I have to check that over the weekend first.

Will come back to this matter after the weekend.

73, Rainer
DJ&OA

Postby AE9RB » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:20 pm

Did you update /etc/udev/local.rules to grant permission as described in the documentation?

For the short, consider the possibility of LT6231 failure because it had a 0 ohm load.
73 David AE9RB
AE9RB
Site Admin

Postby DJ&OA » Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:25 pm

David:

/etc/udev/local.rules was updated in the simple manner indicated in Quisk. If you have a special version of local.rules for the Peaberry, your information would be appreciated.

I feel the real problem is shown in the message '[ 337.912660] usb 4-2: usbfs: interface 1 claimed by snd-usb-audio while 'python' sets config #1'. If USB audio is diabled, there is no problem with the SI570. Will investigate that later.

You were correct that poor LT6231 did not survive. After replacing it, HDSR receive is operative, apart from a very 'colorful' waterfall diagramm. The Peaberry seems to be much more sensitive than the RX/TX ensemble so that even with all available attenuators, I could not get down below S9 +20 with my test generator (also a SI 570, but with manually variable frequency). This is of course with an 'open' arrangement on the desk.

Will stick for the time beeing to HDSDR and check transmit and the output spectrum.

Thank you for your help

73, Rainer
DJ&OA

Postby AE9RB » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:22 pm

Sorry, I don't have a local.rules that I've tested personally. I had success using Quisk with Windows. I also looked at its source and can confirm the SoftRock module is correct for Peaberry.
73 David AE9RB
AE9RB
Site Admin

Postby hansvi » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:53 pm

I also thought that Quisk does not need usbsoftrock, but Quisk reports 'No permission to access the Softrock USB interface'. With Ubuntu 12.4, dmesg gives some more information, namely '[ 337.912660] usb 4-2: usbfs: interface 1 claimed by snd-usb-audio while 'python' sets config #1', so ther seems to be a further problem.

Yes, I encountered the same problem. The problem is that the quisk driver calls self.usb_dev.set_configuration(). This in turn calls the libusb function libusb_set_configuration, which fails. So I took a look at the function documentation, which explicitely states:

You cannot change/reset configuration if your application has claimed interfaces - you should free them with libusb_release_interface() first. You cannot change/reset configuration if other applications or drivers have claimed interfaces.

Since the sound driver is using the audio device, there is no need to call set_configuration. I just copied hardware_usb_new.py (located at /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/quisk/softrock) to hardware_peaberry.py and in that new file I then deleted the line 'self.usb_dev.set_configuration()'.

This is the content of my .quisk_conf.py
from softrock import hardware_peaberry as quisk_hardware
from softrock import widgets_tx as quisk_widgets

si570_direct_control = True
si570_xtal_freq = 114211833

sample_rate = 48000
playback_rate = 48000
name_of_sound_capt = "hw:1,0"
name_of_sound_play = "plughw:0,0"
channel_i = 0
channel_q = 1

usb_vendor_id = 0x16c0
usb_product_id = 0x05dc

I can now tune the peaberry. TX hasn't been tested yet.
Hans - ON8VQ
hansvi

Postby hansvi » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:04 am

I have TX now somewhat operational.

• hardware_usb_new.py doesn't contain a OnButtonPTT method. This method is needed or else the PTT button is disabled.
  • I now use hardware_usb.py, again you need to delete the line 'self.usb_dev.set_configuration()'.
  • I have added some options in my config file.
from softrock import hardware_peaberry as quisk_hardware
from softrock import widgets_tx as quisk_widgets

si570_direct_control = True
si570_xtal_freq = 114211833

sample_rate = 48000
playback_rate = 48000
name_of_sound_capt = "hw:1,0"
name_of_sound_play = "plughw:0,0"
channel_i = 0
channel_q = 1

usb_vendor_id = 0x16c0
usb_product_id = 0x05dc

# Microphone capture: (these settings still need to be looked into)
microphone_name = "hw:0,0" # Name of microphone capture device
mic_sample_rate = 8000
name_of_mic_play = name_of_sound_capt # Name of play device if CW or mic I/Q is sent to a sound card
mic_playback_rate = sample_rate # Playback rate must be a multiple 1, 2, ... of mic_sample_rate
mic_out_volume = 0.6 # Transmit sound output volume (after all processing) as a fraction 0.0 to 1.0

I connected my peaberry to a dummy load to test tx,

Results:
  • I now have a functional PTT button in quisk
  • When the PTT button is pressed, my current draw goes from 170mA to 260mA
  • Nothing is transmitted yet, need to look further.
  • SWR meter shows a small wiggle when TX is activated.

Current questions

• How does CW work with quisk? (this would make testing a bit easier, as now I have to troubleshout both the microphone and the SDR output, with very limited ways to test what goes wrong. Or maybe there is a way to transmit a test signal?
  • Why won't the audio port work on the peaberry? It seems to work on Windows, so it has to be the software...
Just when I wanted to post, something strange happened: I wasn't running quisk, but the current draw was 260mA. I started quisk again, and I pressed PTT twice. Power consumption went back to 170mA. But now the power spectrum shows strong noise. Unplugging the peaberry didnt help.
I have no idea what just happened. Did I quit quisk in TX mode? Did something blow? Do I need to restart the computer? Did I made a mistake in the quisk config?

I tried to quit quisk with PTT on, and lo and behold, TX remains active. When you then start quisk again, it shows the symptoms I just described. Now I just have to find a way to get rid of it again.

Update: The noise problem isn't going away, I unpowered the peaberry and rebooted the PC. There still is strong noise around DC with harmonics around every kHz. I do hope it's not a hardware problem. Either it was caused by closing quisk while transmitting, or else I'm thinking what if the dummy load isn't functioning properly?

Update 2: The noise is gone, but I've seen it again a few times. No idea what causes it, it might have something to do with switching between rx and tx (not sure).
Hans - ON8VQ
hansvi

Postby DJ&OA » Wed May 15, 2013 10:37 pm

Hello all,

Just for information:

QUISK 3.6.10 is available and has a patch for Peaberry so that it is fully operative in receive and transmit with at least Peaberry V1 under Linux (tested with UBUNTU 12.4).

Audio configuration of course has to be adapted in .quisk_config.py on the base of quisk_conf_peaberry.py in the main directory.

73, Rainer DJ6OA
DJ&OA

Return to Peaberry SDR V1