ExpertSDR

General discussion and support for the Peaberry SDR V2.

Re: ExpertSDR

Postby WB8ENE » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:45 pm

I was able to get both receive and transmit to work, but so far, on transmit, I just generated a carrier using AM and FM modes. I also like the sound of the received audio, but I like the HDSDR CW ZAP feature, and the ability to change the pitch of the CW tone on HDSDR. If these two things are available on ExpertSDR, I haven't found them yet. RIT is nice to have though. Hopefully, an English version of the user's manual exists somewhere, because this program looks promising. Oh, I also like being able to plug my straight key into the Peaberry V2 front panel using HDSDR thanks to Ron W4MMP.

Art WB8ENE
WB8ENE

Postby LY3G » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:32 pm

Strange. I tested ExpertSDR on another computer (laptop). I use bluetooth headset. I control Peaberry power output on powermeter and on other receiver (ICOM 703). SSB transmitting works well.
EXP.jpg
EXP.jpg (248.3 KiB) Viewed 3457 times
73! de LY3G Gintas
LY3G

Postby LY3G » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:25 pm

I tried a other setting for the power output Peaberry. She is saved after exiting the program.
Tone function not working - Peabbery LED blinking, but is no power output.
Power.jpg
Power.jpg (90.84 KiB) Viewed 3456 times
73! de LY3G Gintas
LY3G

Postby uv199 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:52 am

ExpertSDR works great as a receive only app. Comparing to the earlier screen shots provided I have noticed that some of the Keys are greyed out on my display. The MOX and Tone keys are greyed out and I have not had luck with any options. I started from scratch and re-downloaded the .rar file, used pea-zip to extract, put ExtIO_Si570.dll in the 'Devices' folder as instructed and still cannot enable the MOX key. Some here have reported they can transmit, not just cw but also SSB.

Is there anything I am missing or need to do in the settings to get to transmit?
Attachments
ExpertSDR vA2.4.1.21.png
Mox Key Greyed out. Unable to transmit.
ExpertSDR vA2.4.1.21.png (97.28 KiB) Viewed 3434 times
uv199

Postby LY3G » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:47 am

I have experienced ExpertSDR on 5 computers - everywhere MOX is active. Even without any settings...
73! de LY3G Gintas
LY3G

Postby uv199 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:05 pm

As an update, I have the Mox and Tone buttons available now. Even though I start ExpertSDR in one of the ham bands these two buttons were not available. I found that if I put the frequency out of the ham bands then put the frequency back in again the ham bands again the MOX and Tone keys become available. Basically, ExpertSDR disables the ability to transmit if you are not in the ham bands. I'm not sure why they are not available for me when I start the application within the ham bands but I have that resolved now.

At this point now I can get the Peaberry to go into transmit mode. I now have the same issue that Ron last reported."The Peaberry is being keyed properly but no carrier is being generated which means there is no audio being sent to the Peaberry". I have the settings set as Gintas has provided. I have tried AM, FM and SSB, I have not tried CW. Also the TONE function does send the Peaberry into transmit mode but again no output.

Thats where I'm at so far. I'm wondering what experience others who have tried this app have had getting it to function in transmit mode. I am running it on Win 8.1 64-bit. Maybe the Operating System is the issue for me.

Paul
N3FTL
uv199

Postby LY3G » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:44 pm

Hi Paul. How do You check the transmission from PB? With powermeter? With other receiver?
73! de LY3G Gintas
LY3G

Postby uv199 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:04 pm

Hi Gintas,
I use the power meter. It will indicate output under 1watt. I also have an amp after the Peaberry that senses RF and will boost the output to 20Watts. The amp will trigger with rf input well under 1 watt. Works with the other SDR software that I use. One thing I am noticing, even though I have the sound card settings set for MME and my speakers and mic set in VAC when I transmit I hear myself in the speakers. My SDR settings are identical to what you have shown. These settings are also identical to the settings I use in PowerSDR. The audio must not be making it to the Peaberry although the Peaberry does go into transmit mode.

Paul
N3FTL
uv199

Postby LY3G » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:40 pm

Hi Paul.
Well have to try with another receiver. Primarily my powermeter was also motionless. But with the other receiver I heard transmission from PB. Not 59+++ dB, but surely. Then, after the manipulation in Power Corection windows, arrow on Powermeter also began to stir. I note that my computer not saved Power Corection settings , ie, after start the program, settings must be done again.

Yesterday I again checked TX on two computers. Both work. One with Win7 32bit, other win7 64bit. Paul, please show Calibration window settings.

This program is an initial product of Expert electronics. One radio amateur modify it and share the results. There is still a lot of shortcomings. For example, the footswitch does not work (in PowerSDR with PB V2 works good). EQ does not work. You can not turn off the monitor...
I hope that "Somebody" in the future will make the program better ...

P.s. Paul, CW transmission can try from the CW Macros window . Enter anything in the empty box, and then click M.
CW.jpg
CW.jpg (25.29 KiB) Viewed 3357 times
73! de LY3G Gintas
LY3G

Postby n9seo » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:12 pm

Hello,

I'd like to toy with this but unless I missed something on the thread, I could not find where you set the IF offset. If I did make it go manually by dragging the filter on the spectrum portion of the display approximately right, but not exact 10Khz. Is this just hidden somewhere else I overlooked? Im afraid my skills dont include the russian manual lol. Is there a way to get this to read the english version of the help too?

Regards,

Kayne/n9seo
Peaberry SDR v2 30/20/17/15m
n9seo

PreviousNext

Return to Peaberry SDR V2