All band Filter board

General discussion and support for the Peaberry SDR V2.

All band Filter board

Postby N2TOH » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:42 pm

I'm considering an all band daughter board for my pea berry for 160 thru 10 meters, I figure the extra space will allow for the use of filters covering all the bands between 1.8 and 29.7MHz along with relays to switch between at lease two antenna ports. maybe even an RF stage with a little more power, or even transverter IF ports.
N2TOH

Re: All band Filter board

Postby TerryFrench » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:55 pm

Many with a Peaberry will consider a retrofit like that.
TerryFrench

Postby N2TOH » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:19 pm

I should place an order for cores and build up enough parts to build three sets of filters to cover 160 thru 10 meters. I'm still deciding between latching relays or a manual switch.
N2TOH

Postby kk4tye » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:37 am

Yes I would be interested
Mike/KK4TYE
kk4tye

Postby mrwizardly » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:29 am

To keep within the size of this unit you might consider DIP switches?
Haven't quite figured out how to switch so many lines with a single DIP switch- but low-Z FETs ought to work too.
Just a suggestion.

I would be interested also!
mrwizardly

Postby N2TOH » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:58 pm

I was thinking latching relays, and interfacing the control logic back into the USB chip on the V2. With that there is the option down the road of firmware based band changing.
N2TOH

Postby TerryFrench » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:48 am

relays... are fine.
A way to control using a micro-controller (or USB directly, through the Peaberry or not) would be great.

I've a Hardrock 50 and its Automatic Tuner board. (a great kit IMO). They used relays for the filters and also for the tuner part. They have to handle some real power, so everything is bigger than for a Peaberry, but overall the whole micro-controller control (with USB and serial external control too) of a bunch of relays for the filters seems good.

That makes me think slightly differently about my situation. I hope you guys will not mind the naive questions.
- For transmit: would it be ok to not filter the Peaberry's output besides having just one low-pass filter (say for everything below 30MHz), and pipe that directly to the Amp to let it handle the filtering? Besides likely wasting some power amplifying the harmonics of the signal. But should it be expected that the amp filter would suppress enough of the harmonics?
- For receive: would the same low-pass filter (< 30MHz) be enough?

That's a quite naive approach, but having already built the amp kit, I already built that "universal relay-switched/computer controlled" filter board, so I wonder if that would be all I would need besides rewiring the filters for the Peaberry to make my Peaberry "all bands".

Thx
Thierry KF7MXQ
TerryFrench

Postby W4MMP » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:25 pm

Hi,
Maybe I missed something (happens a lot) but when thinking about how to control a filter board, would not it be easiest to use the existing ATU interface? It supplies all the necessary band information. David supplies Arduino source code for managing devices via the ATU port.
Ron / W4MMP
W4MMP

Postby N2TOH » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:02 pm

W4MMP, I will have to take a closer look at the ATU port, I think you may be onto something.
N2TOH

Postby W4MMP » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:55 pm

N2TOH wrote:W4MMP, I will have to take a closer look at the ATU port, I think you may be onto something.

This is one of the reasons I like the Peaberry as much as I do. Since the Peaberry is 100% controlled by the firmware making changes to adapt to other requirements is fairly straight forward once a person becomes up to speed on the PSoC architecture and the Cypress IDE. You may or may have not noticed I support a version of the firmware that provides CW support.

One a related note and I am simply curious, why does a Peaberry environment need an all band filter board? If they are used bare bones, it has all the required filtering. Again, just curious.

I have been thinking a lot about how to create a complete Peaberry all band environment. Below is the list of things I think would be nice to have incorporated into an adapter board.
1) Minimum of three RF inputs/outputs, switch selected to a common RF input/output. This would accommodate three Peaberrys (160/80/75m, 60/40/30/20m, 17/15/12/10m). This covers the HF bands.
2)Control signal pass thru multiplexer. Route the AMP, ATU and Key jacks of each Peaberry to the adapter board with one common input/output jack for each port.
3)USB hub on the adapter board. Each Peaberry would be attached to a USB port on the adapter board with the USB hub attached to the computer.
4)Optionally, a 5W amplifier. The all band filter would then be needed.

This I think could be controlled via the ATU port(s). Not 100% sure as I have not really examined that portion of the firmware. I do not when and under what conditions the Peaberry sends band information. David???

I am currently working on an all band version of ExtIO.dll (slowly). This will allow a single instance of host applications (such as HDSDR) that use the ExtIO interface to access multiple Peaberrys. The tricky part will be making multiple Peaberrys look like one audio device.

I have far to much time on my hands :roll:
Ron / W4MMP
W4MMP

Next

Return to Peaberry SDR V2