peaberrycw with QT5.5

peaberrycw with QT5.5

Postby ks1h » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:25 pm

My Lenovo laptop has an Intel 945 GMA that is not OpenGL2.0 compatible. As a result when I tried to run peaberrycw, it would have a blank spectrum, although it would work OK otherwise. The latest version 5.5 of QT has the ability to switch how OpenGL is handled without rebuilding peaberrycw (see http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/windows-requirements.html). One sets an environmental variable QT_OPENGL to one of three values: desktop, angle, or software. "desktop" uses full OpenGL and is the preferred mode if the hardware will support it. "angle" tries to convert OpenGL calls to Directx, and "software" does a software emulation of OpenGL (no hardware acceleration). When I tried "desktop", I got the blank spectrum as I had previously. I couldn't get the "angle" option to work; peaberrycw would crash soon after starting. The "software" option worked but consumed >100% of the cpu time and I was losing some of the audio. In the end, I have given up on this laptop since even with the "desktop" option, the computer was using >60% of the cpu time. I am now back to a desktop computer for my ham radio work (and peaberrycw with the "desktop" option works OK). I have made some modifications to peaberrycw to get a frequency scale and plan to add a SPOT control to make it easier to tune things up.

73, Ken KS1H
ks1h

Return to Peaberry CW