LCD showing arbitrary characters

General discussion and support for Iambino and the Iambic Keyer Shield.

LCD showing arbitrary characters

Postby W1SOP » Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:58 pm

Hi,

I have reflowed all the solder connections but still my LCD won't show the intended text. See the keyer in action here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1slguIw ... sp=sharing

What else can I check? Is the provided LCD a standard part that I can test separately with a different sketch?

Thanks,

Sander W1SOP
W1SOP

Re: LCD showing arbitrary characters

Postby W1SOP » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:25 am

Hi,

I had bought one of these LCDs a few years ago so I swapped it in. No difference so the LCD is fine. I then loaded just the LCD Hello World example, updated the pins and ran it. Still does not work. I guess at this point I should wire the LCD straight to the arduino according to the tutorial and see if I can make it work that way.

Sander W1SOP
W1SOP

Postby W1SOP » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:07 am

Neither LCD works with just the Arduino (no keyer shield) and the hello world example so I'm at the end of my ideas here. Backlight is on, contrast works but it only shows inverted space when just connected to the Arduino. I see the data pins go up/down as the sketch writes to the LCD so the wiring is no entirely bad.

I thought that after building my own arduino based focuser this would be an easy project but looks like I was wrong. I think I'll put this down for a while until I get really desperate for something to tinker with.
W1SOP

Postby AE9RB » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:09 pm

My guess would be a bad Arduino. Probably a failed GPIO driver. On some models you can swap the ATMega easy enough.
73 David AE9RB
AE9RB
Site Admin

Postby W1SOP » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:32 pm

OK, I'll get some different Arduino boards and try those.
W1SOP

Return to Iambino