What a Great Arduino Project

General discussion and support for Iambino and the Iambic Keyer Shield.

What a Great Arduino Project

Postby w6sdm » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:16 am

As a longtime ham and CW operator who has recently become obsessed with Arduino and Raspberry Pi, I was looking for a project that would appeal to more than one of my interests. Iambino was a perfect fit. I haven't had this much fun building something since I put together my Heathkit DX 60 over thirty years ago. With some minor troubleshooting (trimming the LCD display) I was up and running as soon as the kit was assembled. The instructions were perfect - as long as you followed them, there was very little chance for error.

I own several keyers, some of them high end contest keyers. I built this just for the enjoyment of building it and playing with the Arduino. Once I used it with my paddles, I like it just as well as some of my expensive keyers, if not better.

Since the Arduino is so inexpensive, it would be great to have this kit designed so that it could become a permanent part of one's station. With an enclosure that allowed for access to the LCD and other controls, it would be a good station keyer. That, and a ten dollar Leonardo would make a great station keyer.

Since I already have a Flex 5000 and a SoftRock Ensemble, I may venture into the Peaberry V2 next.

Steve
w6sdm

Re: What a Great Arduino Project

Postby KD8IGK » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:16 pm

I agree, once I figured out a few of my mistakes I got it working FB. I had trouble with understanding that ALL the files from the github had to be in the same Iambuino directory, not just the Iambuino sketch it self. Also the instructions could have used a picture that showed the full sets of pins in the bottom of the board that plug into the Arduino (on both sides) it would have helped a little bit. I left the two 6 pin headers off the Iambuino because the instructions did not specify it as fully as I needed. Once I looked more carefully at the photos I noticed the solder side of the two 6 pin headers were soldered in. Once I added that it worked very well.

I am pretty happy with only a couple hours of work and this keyer is pretty nice.
Bill
KD8IGK
KD8IGK

Postby ks1h » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:04 pm

Just put mine together this morning. Took a couple of hours and worked perfectly right off the bench. For those oldtimers like me that like a single arm key, it works great in iambic mode (never gets to the "squeeze" part).

Been using my Peaberry V2 for several months now with a homebrew 40W amp. I originally had trouble with the Peaberry not transmitting but finally found out it was a software problem. For some reason, my system only works if I turn on the Peaberry first and then let the computer boot up. Otherwise it doesn't load in the drivers correctly (although it appears to).

Can't wait until the CW app gets stable.

Brings back memories of Heathkit.

Ken KS1H
ks1h

Postby AE9RB » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:28 am

ks1h wrote:Can't wait until the CW app gets stable.

Why wait? Either it works or it doesn't. Or it has the features your need or doesn't. I need people to use it and tell me these things. Because, you know, "works for me".
73 David AE9RB
AE9RB
Site Admin

Return to Iambino