Can find sound card, not Si570, Windows 8.1

General discussion and support for the Peaberry SDR V2.

Can find sound card, not Si570, Windows 8.1

Postby k1qn » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:38 pm

I had 2 softrocks and a Peaberry working fine with XP. "Upgraded" to Windows 8.1. I have the Softrocks working, but still have a problem with weak audio out on transmit.

For the Peaberry with Windows 8.1, I can see the sound card in PowerSDR, but I can't get the Si570 controller to appear, even though the same driver has 2 Softrocks lighting up on this machine.

Any ideas, diagnostics? I've probably tried them, but please be complete.

Al Gerheim, K1QN
Al Gerheim, K1QN
Celebrating 50 years in ham radio!
k1qn

Re: Can find sound card, not Si570, Windows 8.1

Postby TerryFrench » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:40 pm

you tried one by one?
i.e. only the peaberry.
if needed, "show hidden devices" in device manager, delete the device for the peaberry, reboot, then plug the USB cable again.
Also try some other SW like HDSDR.
TerryFrench

Postby k1qn » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:15 pm

Yes, only one radio connected at a time.

Al, K1QN
Al Gerheim, K1QN
k1qn

Postby k1qn » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:18 pm

Could you give me some details on "show hidden devices". THe PC found the Softrocks but I had to load the driver (also, see "disable driver signing" windows 8.1). When the PC scans for new devices it comes up empty.

Al, K1QN
Al Gerheim, K1QN
k1qn

Postby TerryFrench » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:33 pm

in device manager, there's an option in a menu to see "advanced settings", something like that (I've only a mac and Ubuntu in front of me right now).
one of the advanced settings in the menu is "show hidden devices". That will show you devices that were installed but are not active currently mostly.
unplug the softrock and peaberry, and search there.
reboot.
you should be in a clean state.
On this forum, get the Peaberry build manual from AE9RB. Follow the instructions to the letter when installing the SW. (that's for HDSDR, but just do it).
That should lead you to a working HDSDR / Peaberry. Then try with PowerSDR...
Note: different USB plug, different USB Hub (or no HUB) and cable can all help to check things out.

Low volume on softrock: continue to dig through the sound mixer in Window, you might find another volume slider to push up. Windows is just plain bad for that, and 3P drivers / utilities (for the sound card) do not make things better. (But then AFAIK sound on Linux us also a gigantic pain to configure well...).
TerryFrench

Postby AE9RB » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:48 am

Make sure every last bit of the SoftRock drivers are removed from your system. Both (Si570) SoftRock and Peaberry use generic libusb-win32 drivers. The difference is that some of the SoftRock distributions are .exe files which are known to cause problems. The driver I provide also works with SoftRock/DG8SAQ/PE0FKO so you don't need to fight a war on two fronts.

The symptom with .exe drivers is usually the audio devices not showing up. So you have an unusual problem to me at least. Windows isn't my native OS so I always run everything in a fresh install through a VM which means I never see the problems that happen after many years of accumulated cruft.

You can rule out any hardware issues. The audio and Si570 control are on a composite device. The OS can't see one without the other no matter how edge your case is. The USB protocol guarantees this.
73 David AE9RB
AE9RB
Site Admin

Postby k1qn » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:45 pm

Looks like I have a path forward (delete old Softrock drivers, install Peaberry (hybrid) driver).

As far as weak audio, the fix I implemented was to stop using PowerSDR, and go back to HDSDR. It works on the 2 softrocks. For some reason, on Windows 8.1 PowerSDR just never works with the full wordlength. The issue is, no doubt, with PowerSDR. I have a post on the powersdr forum in case I'm missing something.
Al Gerheim, K1QN
k1qn

Postby k1qn » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:47 pm

Looks like I have a path forward (delete old Softrock drivers, install Peaberry (hybrid) driver).

As far as weak audio, the fix I implemented was to stop using PowerSDR, and go back to HDSDR. It works on the 2 softrocks. For some reason, on Windows 8.1 PowerSDR just never works with the full wordlength. The issue is, no doubt, with PowerSDR. I have a post on the powersdr forum in case I'm missing something.
Al Gerheim, K1QN
k1qn

Return to Peaberry SDR V2