HDSDR question

General discussion and support for the Peaberry SDR V2.

HDSDR question

Postby ka9pie » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:20 pm

Hello all, I am a newbie to SDR and psk31. I have been building the V2 over the last three weeks and am at the fully functional receiver stage. It works great, but haven't figured out how to get the audio output to feed "DigiPan". I have tried configuring the output of HDSDR and the input of DigiPan, but haven't yet got it right. I would appreciate if anyone could point me in the right direction. Digipan is the only program that I have used, but I would like suggestions on others. The experience of building the Peaberry V2 has been great, am looking forward to finishing and putting it on the air.

73 John ka9pie
ka9pie

Re: HDSDR question

Postby TerryFrench » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:50 am

I've never used Digipan, but I think what you are looking for might be a way to pipe the audio from HDSDR into another program.
You need to look into "Virtual audio cables" (VAC). Search for posts about them on this forum. On my config (Win 8.1 x64), I'm using a VAC program that has no signed kernel drivers, so while I built and posted on this forum a pdf file explaining how to boot window and have the drivers working, that's a real pain point.

What some other folks on this forum do is use a cable between line out and line in of one or 2 audio cards to physically route the audio from one SW to another. I'd rather get the SW version without any extra Digital to Analog to Digital conversions, but with more driver pain.

So you get
peaberry out -> HDSDR -> Virtual Audio cable -> Other app (as an input).
Other app (output) -> Virtual Audio Cable -> HDSDR (as the microphone) -> Peaberry in
Assuming I typed that well.

Note: some apps can talk directly to the Peaberry (supporting the Si570 for tuning and I/Q inputs). For these (some WSPR version can do that), there is no need for virtual audio cable. If an app can deal with softrock directly, there's a good change it can deal with the Peaberry.

Note that HDSDR emulates a Kenwood TS50S transceiver. So you can configure HDSDR to act as a real transceiver. That's very useful for most digital mode programs so that they change frequencies, trigger transmit, things like that.

I'm completely swamped with work and other obligations these days (and no time for HAM), but someday I'll have to put a web site or a pdf file with tons of screenshots of some working configurations for the Peaberry. i.e. for JT-65HF, do x,y,z, for other modes, fldigi config, WSPR... A wiki would work great so anyone could edit / add their own stuff. (sections for Linux, Mac, Windows... would be great). Some folks also use HRD http://www.ham-radio-deluxe.com/ to control it all. I have not used it, but at some point, you want from some digital mode SW to change the frequency on HDSDR, an an amplifier too, maybe some antenna switch, an antenna tuner... so some extra SW to coordinate all of that can be worth it.

A few other words of advice: HDSDR has more functionalities than it looks. Including tone generator, and a "reset all HDSDR settings" that can be really useful.
TerryFrench

Postby ka9pie » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:47 pm

Hello Terry, first of all, thanks so much for the reply. I think that the VAC solution may work for me, will give it a try this next weekend when I have a chance. I think that a wiki is a great idea, as there is so much info out there. Digipan was the first software that I used with my self built rig-computer interface, it's simple and works great. Once again, thanks.

73 John ka9pie
ka9pie

Postby ka9pie » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:54 pm

update: I'll chock this one up to user error, and inexperience. Digipan and other software working just fine without VAC. Turns out I wasn't getting strong enough signals.
ka9pie

Return to Peaberry SDR V2