Peaberry V2 and older/processor limited hardware

General discussion and support for the Peaberry SDR V2.

Peaberry V2 and older/processor limited hardware

Postby smull » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:07 pm

My poor atom netbook is having a hard time running quisk and fldigi at the some time. What solutions have others used to use a Peaberry V2 with older/processor limited hardware?

73 Steve KV4XD
smull

Re: Peaberry V2 and older/processor limited hardware

Postby TerryFrench » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:10 pm

Maybe check things like the Raspberry Pi version 2 (the latest one). Costs $40 or so if you can find it (out of stock in most places, but not worth paying more IMO). This might be able to run some of your system remotely, possibly reducing the cpu needs on your laptop side.
Otherwise, getting a better/faster laptop/PC should be considered.
TerryFrench

Postby smull » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:38 pm

I do have a couple of RP's that I have used with an RTL dongle. RTL-SDR works awesome on a pi. I can do super fast 1 mhz bandwidth scanning, continuous spectral power plots from 50mhz to 1.6 Ghz and more on the Raspberry. But those tools are written in C and are efficient. They work great on atom laptop as well. So, if I can process 1 mhz of I/Q data on my hardware, why can I not handle 96khz with quisk? Quisk uses 75% of my processor load working a 96kb stream from the peaberry. That is just crazy. Quisk has too much python-ish overhead. For SDR number crunching, something in C, C++ or better FORTRAN is way more efficient. I have been looking and linrad and that might be my best quisk alternative. I compiled the X version of it last night.

Is anyone using Linrad with a Peaberry V2? If so would you care to share your setup and/or installation experience?
smull

Postby W4MMP » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:54 pm

Hi,
I really need to ask: How well HDSDR run on your laptop? I have been using the combination of HDSDR/Fldigi for quite sometime. Now, granted this is on an I7 machine. I'm just curious to know if HDSDR runs OK.
Ron / W4MMP
W4MMP

Postby smull » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:03 pm

Thanks for asking! HDSDR works in windows with the peaberry at about 85-90% load.
smull

Postby W4MMP » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:24 pm

Hi,
Bummer. HDSDR hardly bumps the needle on my machine. It must have something to do with the architecture of the different chips. My particular I7 does not have on chip video processing. Can you tell me if the Atom has on chip video processing (or not)? Again, just curious.
Ron / W4MMP
W4MMP

Postby smull » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:48 pm

It does have some video acceleration in the hardware but it is integrated with the motherboard chipset and not much to write home about. There is no 3d acceleration. But I can play full hd video and such.
smull

Postby smull » Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:11 am

Well I have to admit, linrad was very easy to use and set up. Compiling was a cake and setup was intuitive. I decoded data from a rtl dongle at 100000 samples a second (compare to the peaberry 96000) and output sound to my speaker with a power graph and rolling waterfall. It only used 30% of my computer load vs 75% for quisk with a similar data rate. I could hear NOAA wx radio crystal clear.

I'll set linrad to use the peaberry next and see how that works.
smull

Postby smull » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:00 am

I got a chance to test the peaberry with linrad. I am using the source for version 4.05 and compiling on ubuntu 14.04. For the peaberry to work you will need to change the following line in the file si570.c

#define PRODUCT_NAME_DG8SAQ "Peaberry SDR"

This will allow it to find the peaberry when it queries the USB chain. I thought I would share to save another the trouble.

It runs like A DREAM! Perfect beautiful audio. No skips. I can tune through the freqs smooth like it was a dial. And get this, it only uses 15-20% of my computers load, not 75% like quisk and hdsdr.

The next step is piping the audio to fldigi, then piping flidigi back for transmit. I do not expect to have integrated rig from fldigi to linrad unless someone knows how to do that. I guess I could write it into linrad if need be.

73 de KV4XD
smull

Postby W4MMP » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:28 am

Hi Steve,
Thanks for the info on linrad. I just yesterday pickup a Raspberry PI 2. It is running Raspbian. It will be interesting to see how the new model handles SDR applications. But for $35 it is worth a shot. The PI 2 has a quad core running at 1GHZ (overclocked) and 1GB ram. Quite a step up from the original.

Please if you would be so kind to provide the details on where and how you were able to get linrad running on your machine (source location, any dependencies (packages) that needed to be installed).

(P.S. I have an original model B running a couple of applications I wrote to monitor my PV solar power installation. It simply works. A great little computer.)
Ron / W4MMP
W4MMP

Next

Return to Peaberry SDR V2