Peaberry v2 built to receiver stage

General discussion and support for the Peaberry SDR V2.

Peaberry v2 built to receiver stage

Postby kd5kll » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:43 am

Should I be able to tune in WWV?

I can see my signal generator at different frequencies, but when I hook a long wire up to the antenna, I don't receive anything but noise.

The radio I'm building is 30/20/17/15, and I have tried 10MHz and 15MHz.
kd5kll

Re: Peaberry v2 built to receiver stage

Postby AE9RB » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:38 am

Two things. The directions explicitly say a random wire will not work well. Also, there's a massive CME hitting the earth right now.
73 David AE9RB
AE9RB
Site Admin

Postby TerryFrench » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:45 am

you beat me to the answer :-).
For future "long wire" experiments, if the wire is inside and not tuned at all (length), it's really not going to be great for anything but really strong signals (and QRM).

This http://www.qrpkits.com/sota.html with a "copper wire antenna" (braided copper wire) from some random electronic store, and hanging out of your shack/house will help somewhat. Cut the wire to the right length for the band/frequency you are after, same for the counterpoise. The little tuning this device can do works quite well for receiving.

In general with the Peaberry, this is QRP, so the better the antenna and cables, the better the experience. (and an amp doesn't hurt either later on :-)).
TerryFrench

Postby kd5kll » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:47 pm

I'm planning on building my antenna this weekend, but I just wanted to test the receiver before I go any further.

It appears that the solar storm has subsided, and I can hear WWV on my Sangean SW radio with just the whip.

I have a MFJ-940 antenna tuner. If I hook the long wire to the wire antenna post, and connect the radio to the transmitter connection, should I see things change on the screen as I change the antenna inductance and capacitance?

Sorry for the newb questions. This is my first HF rig.
kd5kll

Postby W4MMP » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:53 pm

kd5kll wrote:This is my first HF rig.

Ouch ! You may be in for a bit of a bumpy ride. SDR can be bit perplexing at times. But we are here to help :)

Yes, having a tuner will help match the antenna to the 50Ω impedance required by the Peaberry. Set things up and using the manual that came with your tuner, tune the tuner for maximum noise. This is an indication that the tuner is "roughly" in range of the wire antenna.
Ron / W4MMP
W4MMP

Postby kd5kll » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:54 pm

Nothing changes at all when I adjust the tuner. Looks like I have a problem somewhere.
kd5kll

Postby W4MMP » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:58 pm

Well, some times the noise change will not be perceptible. Tune your SW receiver to a signal and then switch to the Peaberry via the tuner. What do you have then?
Ron / W4MMP
W4MMP

Postby kd5kll » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:51 pm

It works! CW signals on the left, a ham from AZ on the right on USB.

I took one last pass at T2. I was tracing things out with the multimeter, and it just wasn't making sense. I pulled it out, rewrapped it (for the third time) and carefully resoldered it.

Now I can move on to the transmit portion, and I can build my antenna this weekend.
kd5kll

Postby TerryFrench » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:46 pm

Soldering is what gets us on a kit like this one :-)
And I remember having to re-solder the toroids. I found manual scrapping (x-acto) of the enamel before tinning was what really did it.
The whole "high temperature will do it" never really worked well for me. (I did invest in a solder pot along the way to try to ease the frustration :-)).
TerryFrench

Return to Peaberry SDR V2