Quisk Rig Control Peaberry v2 Ubuntu 14.04

General discussion and support for the Peaberry SDR V2.

Quisk Rig Control Peaberry v2 Ubuntu 14.04

Postby smull » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:40 am

I am setting up Quisk with a Peaberry V2 on Ubuntu 14.04. I can get receive audio to work with this config, but there is no rig control.

si570_direct_control = True
si570_xtal_freq = 114211833
sample_rate = 48000
playback_rate = 48000
name_of_sound_capt = "plughw:1,0"
name_of_sound_play = "plughw:0,0"
channel_i = 0
channel_q = 1
usb_vendor_id = 0x16c0
usb_product_id = 0x05dc

When I add the following to the config file:
from softrock import hardware_usb as quisk_hardware

I get a nasty "ImportError: No module named backend.libusb10" error. That said, I can control the rig with usbsoftrock. I would like to have rig control in quisk too. I am pretty sure I have pyusb, usblib-1.0.0, etc all installed. But any help would be very much appreciated!

73 KV4XD Steve
smull

Re: Quisk Rig Control Peaberry v2 Ubuntu 14.04

Postby VK4KRC » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:53 am

Hi Steve,
I think the line should be:
from softrock import hardware_usb_new as quisk_hardware
There should be a file hardware_usb_new.py in the softrock directory of Quisk.
Hope this helps.
Regards,
Tony.
VK4KRC
VK4KRC

Postby smull » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:23 pm

Thanks for the quick reply! I have tried that as well and get the same thing. the hardware_usb_new file contains this:

from __future__ import print_function
from hardware_usb import *

Which is an import of hardware_usb.

There is also included a peaberry quisk file which reads:

from softrock import hardware_usb_new as quisk_hardware
from softrock import widgets_tx as quisk_widgets
si570_direct_control = True
si570_xtal_freq = 114211833
sample_rate = 48000
playback_rate = 48000
name_of_sound_capt = "hw:1,0"
name_of_sound_play = "plughw:0,0"
channel_i = 0
channel_q = 1
usb_vendor_id = 0x16c0
usb_product_id = 0x05dc

That is awful close to what I have in my config.

Also, I am using the QUISK package from Ubuntu 14.04 (3.6.11)

I have everything going in receive mode except rig control and would be absolutely thrilled to get it working!
smull

Postby sternbal » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:45 pm

Can you send the full traceback from where you get your ImportError so we can see where it is being called from? I'm on a similar setup and haven't seen that before. Everything should be in the /usr/share/pyshared/quisk/usb directory.

The version included is fairly old and there have been some additions you might find useful, including better handling of pulseaudio devices which (unfortunately) are now needed for wsjtx and wsprx. Try downloading the latest version. You should only have to type "make" to get it ready.
sternbal

Postby smull » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:19 pm

Thanks again for the help. I think I will compile quisk from source and give that a go. 3.6.11 is a bit behind. I didn't know there was a pulse dependency for wsjtx or wsprx! Thanks for letting me know. I have found pulse to be a resource hog.

I downloaded the source for quisk earlier and was reading through to understand how it works. I think that pyusb is not finding libusb10. Hopefully a local build will solve whatever the problem is.

Just so you know, my near-term goal is to run fldigi and use quisk to do the I/Q conversion and hardware abstraction. I read that sdr-shell can do this as well and might be more efficient (c++ vs python), but is difficult to set up. If anyone would like to express their opinion on that I am listening! I am using a low power atom processor so any efficiency gains would be great.
smull

Postby sternbal » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:10 pm

smull wrote: I have found pulse to be a resource hog.

I have found that as well. I finally was able to get a setup with pulse that I was satisfied with for bridging between programs. I can show you what I did if you need help when you get to that point.

For fldigi the situation is much simpler as you can just use an alsa loopback device.
sternbal

Postby smull » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:34 pm

I just complied quisk 3.6.20 from source and I have full rig control! I have lines on the waterfall every 1000Hz or so. I think this is a I/Q artifact I need to tune out. Thanks for the suggestion to compile quisk!
smull

Postby George » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:34 am

I have observed the same issue. Here is my Traceback.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/bin/quisk", line 8, in <module>
quisk.main()
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/quisk/quisk.py", line 4025, in main
App()
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/quisk/quisk.py", line 2354, in __init__
wx.App.__init__(self, redirect=False)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/wx-2.8-gtk2-unicode/wx/_core.py", line 7981, in __init__
self._BootstrapApp()
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/wx-2.8-gtk2-unicode/wx/_core.py", line 7555, in _BootstrapApp
return _core_.PyApp__BootstrapApp(*args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/quisk/quisk.py", line 2709, in OnInit
self.config_text = Hardware.open()
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/quisk/softrock/hardware_usb.py", line 45, in open
usb_dev = usb.core.find(idVendor=self.conf.usb_vendor_id, idProduct=self.conf.usb_product_id)
File "./usb/core.py", line 809, in find
import usb.backend.libusb10 as libusb10
ImportError: No module named backend.libusb10

This is the full trace back. It looks like back.end libusb10 is in the directory quisk/usb/backend

Do I need to include as reference to the usb directory an import in my config file to somehow provide a path to this file?

Have yet to figure it out
WA1HGS George
George

Postby sternbal » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:20 pm

You could try adding /usr/local/path/to/quisk/usb to your PYTHONPATH environment variable. As long as it exists we can find a way to tell it where it is. You might also want to put "print sys.path" somewhere in harware_usb.py before the usb.core.find() to see what path it is using to look for the modules.
sternbal

Return to Peaberry SDR V2