Amps revisited

General discussion and support for the Peaberry SDR V2.

Amps revisited

Postby donde » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:05 am

I'm a newcomer to this forum. Just registered. I've almost decided to purchase the Peaberry V2 Kit. I have built a number of Softrock rigs.
So I think I could build this one. I sure like the idea of no sound card card needed. And like most, a small amplifier becomes the next step.
I see many amplifier topics here. For 2015, what is the popular circuit? I know this is a loaded question, but I'm asking anyway. Or maybe AE9RB is
coming out with one!
Thanks,
Don
donde

Re: Amps revisited

Postby W4MMP » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:08 am

Don,
One of the most popular amps is the Hardrock 50 (http://www.hobbypcb.com/amateur-radio/a ... p-kit.html). I have seen nothing but good reviews of the amp. I can not speak from personal experience, but there a number of folks on this forum that own them.

P.S. I also started out with the Softrock and decided to switch to the Peaberry early on. No regrets. Take your time building the rig. It is definitely NOT a one night project.
Ron / W4MMP
W4MMP

Postby AE9RB » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:23 am

Any amp not "CW only" that includes low-pass filters for the second harmonics should work. HR-50 and HF Packer are popular choices if you want to build it yourself. There's a ton of single-band stuff out there. There's even folks using vacuum tubes to amplify their Peaberry. Amps is amps so long as your IMD and spurious emissions are good.
73 David AE9RB
AE9RB
Site Admin

Postby donde » Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:37 pm

Thanks Ron and David,

I always took my time with Softrock. For me, building it fast looses the essence of building a kit in the first place. OK on the amps. Tubes! My first CW adventure was at 13. A single 6AG7 with socket spread between 2 sticks of wood. A few more sticks and it was a "chassis"! 8 watts out on 40 meters. Worked the Bay Area ... WOW he heard me! 350 miles! I built it all myself!

Don ... W6RWN
donde

Postby N2TOH » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:51 am

I've started to ponder employing power over Ethernet as a means to supply power to an RF amplifier. with the latest generations of 802.3at and the like able to carry as much as 57VDC @ 1AMP on CAT5 cable over a maximum of 100 meters.
N2TOH

Return to Peaberry SDR V2