It's working again

General discussion and support for the Peaberry SDR V2.

Re: It's working again

Postby pilotcfii » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:12 pm

Thank you Ron & David. For price I think I'll buy several from Digikey. That way I'll know I have what I need and not some recycled seconds. What I have is probably ok, but I'd like to know for sure,
Dan Malcolm
K4SHQ CFI/II
pilotcfii

Postby pilotcfii » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:15 pm

While I'm waiting for parts, let me ask a question, My PB is one firmware level down from the most current. From what I read the latest firmware is aimed at better CW keying than my version. I don't do CW but I do like having the latest firmware. Aside from CW is there anything to recommend installing the latest? If the answer is yes, then updating will still wait until the hardware is working.
Dan Malcolm
K4SHQ CFI/II
pilotcfii

Postby W4MMP » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:54 pm

Hi Dan,
Hum, as far as I know there are two separate firmware releases. David's original (but updated) firmware which maybe found at:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=96 (use the March 20, 2014) release. This release has nothing to do with changed or enhanced CW. It reduces a "clicking" noise when scrolling through frequency changes.

Then there is my CW / Iambic / Semi Break-in enhancement to David's firmware. It provides zero latency CW operations when using HDSDR. It may be found here: http://peaberryv2iambic.codeplex.com/. I would not use this version until you have the Peaberry fully functional AND you want to operate CW with HDSDR. At any rate, this may be mute point as David is providing a stand alone Peaberry CW application that does not require my version of the firmware.
Ron / W4MMP
W4MMP

Postby pilotcfii » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:09 pm

Thanks Ron. I am not a CW fan. I did learn it years ago but never developed a fondness for it. Even Davids updated firmware may be moot. I am trying to reinstall PSoC Creator, freshly downloaded from Cypress and I not had any success. It insists there is another copy installed and refuses to continue. I did have another copy but that was uninstalled several months ago by MyUninstaller which is quite good at finding all the bits and pieces and getting rid of them. I have uninstalled, rebooted, turned off virus checking, and now I'm getting ready to go hunting with RegEdit. to make sure all of the registry bits are gone. Failing that I'll try Cypress Tech Support.
Dan Malcolm
K4SHQ CFI/II
pilotcfii

Postby W4MMP » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:14 pm

Dan,
Yes, Cypress makes some very cryptic entries into the system registry. I believe they once provided a registry cleaner to clear up this issue. I will see if I can find it.
Ron / W4MMP
W4MMP

Postby W4MMP » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:41 pm

Dan,
This is what I found: http://www.cypress.com/?app=forum&id=2492&rID=85768 . If this does not do the trick, you may need to create a case.
Ron / W4MMP
W4MMP

Postby pilotcfii » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:33 pm

Ron,
That worked but not quite using their instructions. I went through Cypress instructions twice, but making progress, but just one step at a time. Since nothing was correctly installed, I uninstalled what was there, then used the Cypress registry tool to delete all of the Cypress keys that it found, instead of cherry picking. Then the installer ran all the way through without a hickup.

Thanks again.
Dan Malcolm
K4SHQ CFI/II
pilotcfii

Postby pilotcfii » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:44 pm

The BS-170's came in from Digi-Key and have been used to replace those that were in the V2. I don't see any difference. FM on 20m gave me nothing until I introduce sound to the microphone, and then I could see peaks around 0.5 watts on the wattmeter. That may just be normal for my V2. I'm going to try to get the SW working and see what happens with real digital modulation.
Dan Malcolm
K4SHQ CFI/II
pilotcfii

Postby AE9RB » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:54 pm

The new Peaberry CW application is now the best way to troubleshoot a transmitter. It will automatically fix, ask you to fix, or bypass any bad settings in the operating system. This eliminates a big pile of potential problems.
73 David AE9RB
AE9RB
Site Admin

Postby pilotcfii » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:11 pm

Thanks David, I'll do it.
Dan Malcolm
K4SHQ CFI/II
pilotcfii

PreviousNext

Return to Peaberry SDR V2