HDSDR Undefined Error

General discussion and support for the Peaberry SDR V2.

Re: HDSDR Undefined Error

Postby W4MMP » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:07 pm

Hi Dan,
Thanks for the info. I used the utilities to confirm that I have my multi TT hub attached and set up for high possible through put.

I wonder if USB 3.0 hubs have the same issues as 2.0 hubs. I have not been able to find any information regarding multiple TTs in relationship to 3.0. Who knows, maybe 3.0 has a different architecture and does not suffer from the issue.
Ron / W4MMP
W4MMP

Postby TerryFrench » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:51 am

Great thread.
BTW, here is the link to the free Microsoft tool. https://code.msdn.microsoft.com/windowshardware/USBView-sample-application-e3241039
Take that one instead of any other "random" usbview that could contain some malware.
You will see things like
High speed capable: Yes
High speed: Yes
Multiple transaction translations capable: No
Performs multiple transaction translations simultaneously: No

or for a better one
High speed capable: Yes
High speed: Yes
Multiple transaction translations capable: Yes
Performs multiple transaction translations simultaneously: Yes

I really learned something, and that made the issues of "on some HUB/plugs the peaberry has some problems", much clearer. Surprisingly, some of the built-in USB hubs on my "fancy 'overclocker' Asus motherboard from 2 years ago" are rather crappy. (the intel chipset one).

So for me
* USB 1.0 devices will have to go to a HUB that can deal with 1.1 translations with multiple units and doing the multiple transactions at the same time. Mouse, Keyboard, random peripherals, AMP controller...
* USB 2.0 devices will go to random 2.0 HUBs (spread around). The Peaberry will go there, as do the webcam and USB 2 flash drives, hard drives and card readers
* USB 3.0 devices will for now go directly to the 3.0 ports and not be on any hub. (I don't have a 3.0 hub, nor do I have enough devices to justify it). i.e. USB 3.0 flash drives and hard drives.
TerryFrench

Postby pilotcfii » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:51 pm

Thanks Terry. That usbview is indeed better. Took a little searching to get the WDK as MS really wants you to have their development environment even if it's just the low end freebie.

I used to do a lot of C back in the day. Now it's called C++ but ever there most of the code I see is really just C, without any OOP. These days I do mostly PHP web development, but at retirement plus 8 and getting tired of consulting, even that is fading to just things I do for myself, so I really did not want any additional stuff.

My solution to the USB hub problem is the same as yours. I will use all multi-TT hubs for 2.0 and no hub (save for the built-in) for 3.0. FYI, I do have a 3TB backup drive hung on my single 3.0 port and it works really well. Fast and reliable. I did find that my Samsung S5 uses 3.0 but the port configuration allows a 2.0 mini-usb connection.
Dan Malcolm
K4SHQ CFI/II
pilotcfii

Postby W4MMP » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:31 pm

Hi,
OK, I'm being lazy. What do I need to do to have the source compile for Win 7? My Microsoft VS 2013 only has drop down options for Win 8 and Win 8.1

Thanks,
Ron / W4MMP
W4MMP

Postby pilotcfii » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:13 pm

I downloaded just the WDKsetup.exe. Once that is installed, usbview.exe is included in the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Tools\x86" folder. MS does not make it obvious.
Dan Malcolm
K4SHQ CFI/II
pilotcfii

Postby TerryFrench » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:14 pm

yep sorry for not being as clear. Download the WDK or the debugger tools only (smaller I believe) and you will have the already compiled usbview.exe
It's not signed independently from the WDK/debugging tools, so I'm not attaching it to this thread, as users would not be able to validate it's not malware/virus.
TerryFrench

Postby pilotcfii » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:35 pm

No problem Terry. Thanks for the heads up.
Dan Malcolm
K4SHQ CFI/II
pilotcfii

Previous

Return to Peaberry SDR V2