HDSDR Undefined Error

General discussion and support for the Peaberry SDR V2.

HDSDR Undefined Error

Postby pilotcfii » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:55 pm

Ok I am back trying to get this thing working.

Problem one: I set up HDSDR per the instructions that came with the kit. That works to a point, but when I set "TX Output(to Radio)" to "Line(36-Peaberry Radio)" I get an "Undefined Error" (see attached). Any other selection allows HDSDR to start and I can toggle TX on and off. When TX is on, the LED flashes just like it should.

I don't think this is a driver error, simply because the drivers appear as initially installed and working and there properties say they are working normally. I know that's not definitive but it's what I have to work with. Can anyone give me a hint>

Dan Malcolm
K4SHQ CFI/II
pilotcfii

Re: HDSDR Undefined Error

Postby W4MMP » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:05 pm

Dan,
These errors can be so nebulous. What operating system? You may have attempted this, but reboot the computer with the Peaberry attached. I have found that plugging/unplugging USB devices really messes with Windows mind. Also, resetting HDSDR to factory settings have resolved issues for me.
Ron / W4MMP
W4MMP

Postby pilotcfii » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:54 am

I'm running Win7 x64. I have rebooted but without the PeaBerry attached. I have also done the HDSDR factory reset.
Dan Malcolm
K4SHQ CFI/II
pilotcfii

Postby pilotcfii » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:05 am

Ok now I've done the reboot with Peaberry attached. Same error. BTW the diagnostic LED on the Peaberry is not reporting an error. My system is not crunched for resources as I am running a 1TB SSD that is only 1/3rd full and 16GB RAM and all supported by an Intel i7 processor. This peaberry/driver combination has worked previously, even though I now suspect a Tx error, as the last time I ran it I had no power out. However, I believe this problem is separate.

Thanks for your help.
Dan Malcolm
K4SHQ CFI/II
pilotcfii

Postby W4MMP » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:33 am

Dan,
The most I can do is make suggestions for things to try.
1) Try a different USB port.
2) Completely delete the Peaberry SDR and Peaberry Radio devices.
a) Have the Peaberry attached to the computer.
b) Bring up the device manager and delete both the Peaberry SDR and Peaberry Radio device(s). If given the option to delete the driver, do so.
c) Reboot the computer.
d) Attach the Peaberry. You should see this: (I have two Peaberrys attached, you will see only one of each).
Screenshot 2015-02-15 23.24.12_cr.jpg
Screenshot 2015-02-15 23.24.12_cr.jpg (166.46 KiB) Viewed 2404 times

Does receive work? If so, this is a tough one as the receive and transmit audio traverse the same electrical circuit.
Ron / W4MMP
W4MMP

Postby W4MMP » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:15 pm

Dan,
I just encountered the undefined error with one of my Peaberrys. I cleared it with power cycling the Peaberry.
Ron / W4MMP
W4MMP

Postby pilotcfii » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:49 pm

Ron,
Most of what you posted was going to my next step if you came up with nothing, but I hadn't thought of just changing USB ports and that turned out to be the problem. I was running through a powered USB 2.0 hub. It may have been just that hub port or the whole hub. I haven't tried to determine that yet. I used one of the front computer ports and what-do-you-know it worked.

In answer to one of your questions, the receiver works fine on 20m. I was able to hear the Texas side of a USB (SSB) QSO just fine. HDSDR gave it an S9. If I can believe the cursor window, the receiver noise floor connected to an Inverted V is -116dbm (if I assume reference to 1mw). Calibration is a little iffy but at one time agreed with my FT-950.

Having had that success I connected a QRP wattmeter between the Peaberry and a dummy load, keyed Tx in AM and read exactly nothing. So I'm back to my original problem.

Thanks for your help.
Dan Malcolm
K4SHQ CFI/II
pilotcfii

Postby pilotcfii » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:12 pm

FYI - after a little more testing the USB problem appears to be the D-Link USB Hub. Another hub I have attached works fine. Thinking back, I have had odd port problems with the D-Link. Perhaps it's time to replace it.
Dan Malcolm
K4SHQ CFI/II
pilotcfii

Postby W4MMP » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:13 pm

pilotcfii wrote:Having had that success I connected a QRP wattmeter between the Peaberry and a dummy load, keyed Tx in AM and read exactly nothing. So I'm back to my original problem.
Thanks for your help.

Glad you solved the USB device issue. Early on I researched USB hubs when setting up my Peaberry equiped station. Not that this relates directly to your issue, but I found several hubs that have multiple TTs (transaction translators). This allows for maxium USB hub through put. The hub in turn is attached a PC internal hub that has only this external hub attached. Google "multiple TT hub". Interesting information.

Yes, in a word, it "sucks" when attempting to trouble shoot and something else gets in your way. If I may make one suggestion. Use FM mode when testing for power output. The FM mode with the output power slider set to maximum of HDSDR guarentees the Peaberry will be drive to maximum output. Also, if your Peaberry Radio audio devices have volume sliders, make sure they are set to maximum.
Ron / W4MMP
W4MMP

Postby pilotcfii » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:31 pm

Ron,
Right again. I did some reading on TT's. Found an article on Tom's Hardware website where they test single vs. multi-TT. Multi-TT is hands down better in their testing. Interesting that the TT are intended to translate USB 1.1 to USB 2.0 but so far my experience is that multi-TT seems to make a more robust hub for environments that is USB1.1 free and using just 2.0. I had long ago gone all USB2.0+ ( I have one USB3 backup drive) but when I used the software recommended here: http://www.cypress.com/?id=4&rID=100303 I found that the hub giving trouble was a single TT and the hub that is trouble free is multi-TT. The free SW works fine but is not quite as handy as the paid SW. USBlyzer is the paid SW, but it does have a 33 day free use. They want $200 per copy so I don't see that in my future. However the free 'usbview' works as well. It just doesn't break out the reporting sections as neatly.

The Cypress page also tells you how to tell if your hub is multi-TT. Most of the hub descriptions I've seen do not tell you how many TT's are in a 2.0 hub.

You have probably seen all of this but thought I'd report it here in case other views find it to be of use.
Dan Malcolm
K4SHQ CFI/II
pilotcfii

Next

Return to Peaberry SDR V2