Transparent Peaberrys

General discussion and support for the Peaberry SDR V2.

Transparent Peaberrys

Postby W4MMP » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:34 pm

Hi,

As I mentioned in another thread regarding the effort with CW/Iambic/Semi Break-in firmware, the firmware has been taken about as far as I can on that front. So, off to the next project.
I am investigating producing a new version of the ExtIO_Si570.dll. There a number of goals I hope to achieve.
1) Move the magic number stuff into the DLL. The setting of magic numbers will be via some type of GUI.
2) The ability to access more than one Peaberry in a transparent fashion from a single instance of the host application. The design may be based on a table look up routine that maps frequency to Peaberry USB serial number. (The serial numbers that are seen in the CFGSR USB tab).

But before I go head long into this, I would really appreciate knowing how those of you who have multiple Peaberrys manage them when attached to a single computer. I want to make sure that I have not overlooked something as to not re-invent the wheel.

3) The real trick will be to make multiple Peaberry audio devices look like one device. If anyone has any ideas on this, I'm all ears.

The overall goal here, is to make multiple Peaberrys look and feel like a single rig. There is another thread on this forum taking a look at a multiband single board filter. That coupled with the ability to use one instance of a host application will provide that single rig look and feel. I guess you could say things might eventually look like a Flex 1500 based on the Peaberry (1W of course).

This might be a pipe dream, but its my dream :shock:
Ron / W4MMP
W4MMP

Re: Transparent Peaberrys

Postby camqrp » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:24 am

Ron -

Now that I have two fully functioning Peaberries, I'd be interested with what you come up with. My switchover is totally manual, unplugging one rig and plugging in the other. It's a bit of a pain because 20 and 15 meters are in different rigs and I like to switch back and forth between those bands.

TNX,

Cam N6GA
camqrp

Re: Transparent Peaberrys

Postby W4MMP » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:54 pm

Hi Cam,

Here is what I currently do to support two Peaberrys connected to the same computer:

At the moment changing between Peaberrys requires two HDSDR configurations and a number of mouse clicks and some hardware.
I have an A/B switch connected to the Peaberrys.

1) Two HDSDR configurations are needed (for convenience). Create two short cuts with the following: "C:\Program Files (x86)\HDSDR\HDSDR.exe" -p A and
"C:\Program Files (x86)\HDSDR\HDSDR.exe" -p B. The name for the -p parameter obviously can be anything you like. In my configuration I have named one Peaberry "A" and the other "B" for simplicity sake. Start HDSDR with the first short cut and configure it to use one of the two Peaberrys. Stop that copy and start the second and configure it to use the other Peaberry.
2) After either the A or B configuration is started, click on the ExtIO button and then click on the USB tab and select the serial number that relates to the A or B Peaberry. This will do to be done every time the current configuration is stopped and the other configuration is started.
3) Switch the A/B switch to the proper Peaberry.

This only works for host applications that support the ExtIO_Si570.dll and support multiple configurations (HDSDR). As far as I know PowerSDR, SDR# and the like will not support the necessary configuration options to support multiple Peaberrys connected to the same computer, but I may be wrong about that. Even David's new Peaberry CW does not at the moment multiple Peaberrys, but hopefully that coming in future releases.
Ron / W4MMP
W4MMP

Return to Peaberry SDR V2