WSPR Frequency Calibration

General discussion and support for the Peaberry SDR V2.

WSPR Frequency Calibration

Postby enghamradio » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:14 pm

WSPR spots show that my transmitter frequency is off. I am running WSPR 2.12. What is the best method for calibrating the receiving and transmitting frequency? What should the Fiq frequency in WSPR be set to? I am not getting many spots. I am using Dimension 4 to set the PC time. Any tips to improve spots would be appreciated.

Dennis
enghamradio

Re: WSPR Frequency Calibration

Postby W4MMP » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:26 pm

enghamradio wrote:WSPR spots show that my transmitter frequency is off. I am running WSPR 2.12. What is the best method for calibrating the receiving and transmitting frequency? What should the Fiq frequency in WSPR be set to? I am not getting many spots. I am using Dimension 4 to set the PC time. Any tips to improve spots would be appreciated.

Dennis

Hi Dennis,
To calibrate the Peaberry, I use the CFGSR in combination with HDSDR.
1) Bring up HDSDR and tune to a frequency standard (WWV,CHU). A strong signal is needed. Set HDSDR to ECSS.
2) Turn on AFC
3) Bring up RF Front End and Calibration.
4) Note the "Current Tune" frequency.
5) Click on ExtIO in HDSDR. This will bring the CFGSR window.
6) Click on the Calibrate tab.
7) Place the noted frequency in the Tuned area and click calibrate.

Do not use the HDSDR "Calculate" option of the RF Front-end and Calibration window. This calibrates HDSDR, not the Peaberry.

Hope this helps
Ron / W4MMP
W4MMP

Postby enghamradio » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:29 pm

Hi Ron,

Thanks Ron.The frequency was off by 72Hz which was corrected by following your procedure. Now when I run WSPR I am receiving many signals but I am not transmitting on the expected frequency. WSPR "Dial" frequency is set to 14.095600. "TX" frequency to 14.097100. I monitored by transmit signal on another radio and found it to be 14.070100. I also confirmed the frequency on a scope. I don't know why the transmit frequency is so far off. I verified I am transmitting on the correct frequency from HDSDR. Any help would be appreciated.

Dennis
enghamradio

Postby W4MMP » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:12 pm

enghamradio wrote:Hi Ron,

Thanks Ron.The frequency was off by 72Hz which was corrected by following your procedure. Now when I run WSPR I am receiving many signals but I am not transmitting on the expected frequency. WSPR "Dial" frequency is set to 14.095600. "TX" frequency to 14.097100. I monitored by transmit signal on another radio and found it to be 14.070100. I also confirmed the frequency on a scope. I don't know why the transmit frequency is so far off. I verified I am transmitting on the correct frequency from HDSDR. Any help would be appreciated.

Dennis

I will bring up WSPR in a bit can get back to you with what I find. I have not run WSPR for quite a while.
Ron / W4MMP
W4MMP

Postby W4MMP » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:02 am

Dennis,
Do you HDSDR TX I/Q reversed? It should be.
Ron / W4MMP
W4MMP

Postby enghamradio » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:53 am

Ron,

I have TX I/Q reversed in HDSDR but I didn't have TX I/Q reversed in the WSPR I/Q settings. I enabled TX I/Q reversed in WSPR and now I am transmitting on the right frequency. Thanks for all your help.

Dennis
enghamradio

Postby W4MMP » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:58 am

enghamradio wrote:Ron,

I have TX I/Q reversed in HDSDR but I didn't have TX I/Q reversed in the WSPR I/Q settings. I enabled TX I/Q reversed in WSPR and now I am transmitting on the right frequency. Thanks for all your help.

Dennis

Hi Dennis,
You're welcome, and yes, after I made the previous post the thought occurred to me that you may be using the I/Q feature of WSPR. I have not used that feature in a very long time as the decoding did not seem to do quite as well as driving WSPR with the typical sound card arrangement. I had moved on to WSPR-X since then which does not support I/Q. I like the waterfall display of WSPR-X (personal preference).
Glad you have it working.
Ron / W4MMP
W4MMP

Return to Peaberry SDR V2