When SMT parts go flying.

General discussion and support for the Peaberry SDR V2.

When SMT parts go flying.

Postby mrwizardly » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:11 am

I was doing fine until the sticky tape over one of the resister packs decided to pull off the part carrier cover.
The resisters fell out and my finger slipped off the semi-flexible tape and sent one of my 1K resister into the Twilight Zone.
Do I need to make an offering to the Tron-Gods to get my part back? Or try to find a local that has the same size?
The dust bunnies will carry this one away into oblivion!

Since it is right before the step of powering on the board again to test for "XTAL" I looked at the schematic to see if I could continue from this point.
Luckily, the R3 that is now AWOL is the pull up resister for the optocoupler for the AMP output and so I will proceed.
In fact, all is well so far.

So, where are spare parts available?
mrwizardly

Re: When SMT parts go flying.

Postby TerryFrench » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:17 pm

IMO I=it's mostly:
Ask AE9RB to send you a new one if he has one around he can send (that would cost him postage mostly). Or order one online (but spend $5 or so in shipping. So best is to order some other stuff together, maybe some ferrite beads, wire, connectors...), or find a local electronic shop that carries SMD components (I have one around, but I consider myself very lucky, these stores went the way of the dodos) and hope you do not spend too much in gas. The local store option is best, and you might see yourself spending more when you are in the store :-)

I think the size is for most parts 1206, but I'm not 100% sure. Someone else already posted that info on the forum recently I believe. You can of course just measure one if you have a caliper / something precise enough.
Also eBay is an option, if you find some US seller (to not wait weeks). http://www.ebay.com/sch/Resistors-Resis ... _PrefLoc=1
TerryFrench

Postby W4MMP » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:20 pm

Hi,
Yes, the size is 1206. See this thread: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=421#p2206
Ron / W4MMP
W4MMP

Postby mrwizardly » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:00 pm

Thanks Guys.
I'll see how far I get without losing more...then find a local. Here in the Seattle/Bellevue area (high tech land) there are a few I can look up.
Is the 1206 the wattage?
I'll go read the thread.
Mark
mrwizardly

Postby kz1x » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:13 pm

1206 means the size. It's 0.12" long by 0.06" wide.

It is indirectly the wattage, too. A 1206 size SMD resistor is a 1/4 watt part.

Unless it's a metric resistor, in which case a 1206 is called a 3216. Same thing.
kz1x

Postby mrwizardly » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:39 am

What is the tolerance of these 1K #1206 resistors?
I found a local company but they only stock 5%.
Mark
mrwizardly

Postby TerryFrench » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:53 am

Near Seattle: go to Bellevue, "Vetco" (vetco.net) is the local place.
The old folks in the store are very grumpy, and the young/student types friendly.
Go there way before the closing time (check the hours on their web site). They lost my business one day by not letting me get one more cable (to add to over $100 of stuff I already picked) 5 minutes before closing time because they wanted to be out of the door at that exact time.

Anyway, they are overall 'the' local place to support IMO.

Thierry KF7MXQ
TerryFrench

Return to Peaberry SDR V2