All band Filter board

General discussion and support for the Peaberry SDR V2.

Re: All band Filter board

Postby N2TOH » Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:54 pm

Hi Ron,

perhaps I could explain my plan a bit better, as it seems for my intended uses to be a bit simpler. I'm working towards a board that contains enough components for filtering the on board RF amplifier output, so a single Peaberry board may be used on any band between 160 and 10 meters.

On a different yet related matter I am interested in ways to use more then one Peaberry at the same time, so that two or more bands can be observed simultaneously. a Multi-inputput / Multi-output configuration with the SDR boards physically separated may lend itself to true full-duplex operation. with enough realestate or better yet willing supportive neighbors, more then one antenna can be employed where your neighbor may loan you an antenna to receive from with the transmitting antenna at your location.

currently I'm investigating the use of Raspberry Pi and Beagle Bone boards as a bridge device between the USB connection and power over Ethernet link to the control shack. many of the power ratings for PoE are nothing to laugh at. for example, http://www.streakwave.com/powerdsine/Un ... rDsine.pdf
N2TOH

Postby W4MMP » Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:16 pm

N2TOH wrote:Hi Ron,

perhaps I could explain my plan a bit better, as it seems for my intended uses to be a bit simpler. I'm working towards a board that contains enough components for filtering the on board RF amplifier output, so a single Peaberry board may be used on any band between 160 and 10 meters.

Ah, I understand. We have a similar goal in mind, but a different method to achieve it. The end result is to have an all band solution. Your solution is much more straight forward, but I believe will require some reengineering of certain Peaberry components, but I may be wrong about that. My solution is more complex but requires no changes to the Peaberry.

Did I get this right?
Ron / W4MMP
W4MMP

Postby N2TOH » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:03 am

W4MMP wrote:
N2TOH wrote:Hi Ron,

Ah, I understand. We have a similar goal in mind, but a different method to achieve it. The end result is to have an all band solution. Your solution is much more straight forward, but I believe will require some reengineering of certain Peaberry components, but I may be wrong about that. My solution is more complex but requires no changes to the Peaberry.

Did I get this right?

Yes the end goal is to cover "all" the bands, your method uses more unaltered boards and is more likely to support several bands at the same time with enough computing power. where I am currently looking to just change the band segments in current use with the same board.
N2TOH

Postby RichardP » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:59 pm

There are a couple of ways to achieve this..

The Band select relay can be removed and replaced with a daughterboard. on the card you can have all the bands selected by a relay -but thats where the easy bit ends. The relays need to be controlled.. either by a I2C bus expander (Modification on the PB) so that the SDA/SCL are routed also to the daughterboard... OR the relay activation pin can get re-purposed to supply a PWM output which can be interpreted by a small MCU on the daughterboard (ATMEL Tiny or something similar)

all cases require the Cypress SOC to have firmware changes. I2C will be the most elegant.. but the PWM would be the least mods

R
RichardP

Postby N2TOH » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:16 pm

yes I can see a number of different methods for band selection including,

1) a manual switch
2) I2C relay control
3) ATU relay control
4) plug in modules
5) some combination of the above methods, such as an I2C daughter board with an ATU adapter cable for those unwilling or unable to hack the original board.
N2TOH

Postby RichardP » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:23 am

N2TOH wrote:yes I can see a number of different methods for band selection including,

1) a manual switch
2) I2C relay control
3) ATU relay control
4) plug in modules
5) some combination of the above methods, such as an I2C daughter board with an ATU adapter cable for those unwilling or unable to hack the original board.

I like option 3.. have 2 signals that can be plugged in to a 2 bit decoder.. gives the option of 4 selects. Either way the PB needs to be modded. I was looking at using the Relay assert line from the Cypress and creating a 1 bit data bus on it to an ATTiny8. That way 99% of the PB should stay the same.. even if its a 1/2 duplex serial port - it will still work over 1 wire.

Richard
RichardP

Postby AE9RB » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:30 am

73 David AE9RB
AE9RB
Site Admin

Postby N2TOH » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:00 pm

AE9RB wrote:https://github.com/AE9RB/peaberry/blob/master/arduino_atu/arduino_atu.ino

can a firmware mode turn the ATU port into another I2C port?

an I2C latch such as this one would not generate any noise after it's outputs are set. http://www.i2cchip.com/pcf8574.html
N2TOH

Postby TerryFrench » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:14 am

Either way you need a microcontroller, no?
1) Peaberry ATU -> microcontroller (like Arduino) -> some relays or other device
or
2) Peaberry I2C (ATU changed) -> microcontroller (like Arduino) -> some relay or other device

OR would you program the Peaberry firmware so that (assuming it can) it output some I2C commands that something else like an I2C-enabled relay would understand directly? Price-wise, I'm not sure that there would be much gain there. (more expensive relays, as they do include a microcontroller)
TerryFrench

Postby W4MMP » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:37 am

The ATU lines could be repurposed as I2C lines. Obviously, that will require a change to the firmware.
Ron / W4MMP
W4MMP

PreviousNext

Return to Peaberry SDR V2