PSoC burnt ?

General discussion and support for the Peaberry SDR V2.

PSoC burnt ?

Postby felixzero » Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:06 pm

Hello,
I'm currently building the Peaberry V2, which was straightforward until the point I had to solder the PSoC with its fine pins.
I first manage to start it, and it sent "XTAL", which was good. After soldering the crystal, I still got the XTAL error, and realized I had a tiny solder bridge between pin 39 and 40.
Unable to remove the bridge, I decided to unsolder the chip with a hot air tool and solder it again. But the most stupid error got me: I soldered it backward and plugged in the voltage.
Now after fixing the orientation, nothing start again and I suppose the chip is burned.

I have a few questions then:
- Is there a way to be sure of that?
- Where can I get a new one?
Thank you in advance,
Kévin F4VQG
felixzero

Re: PSoC burnt ?

Postby W4MMP » Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:30 pm

Hello,
First I would double check the soldering again. My understanding is the PSoC is a very rugged device. I "think" David has mentioned somewhere someone did what you did and the chip was not damaged. But should you find the chip is actually dead, David sells replacement chips here: http://ae9rb.com/index.php?main_page=sh ... t&sort=20a . If you wish to purchase the PSoC from a different source you will need a Cypress Miniprog3 to upload the firmware (program the chip).
Ron / W4MMP
W4MMP

Re: PSoC burnt ?

Postby felixzero » Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:35 pm

Thank you for your answer.
I ordered a new one, so I will be sure the chip will be working.
Just have to wait for the package...

Kévin
F4VQG
felixzero

Return to Peaberry SDR V2