Peaberry issue, maybe

General discussion and support for the Peaberry SDR V2.

Re: Peaberry issue, maybe

Postby W4MMP » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:36 pm

Hi Joel,
Well, I'm at a bit of a loss also. I always need to ask a few basic questions because there are so many moving parts when it comes to I/Q based SDRs.
1) Does the Peaberry show up in the device manager properly? (Peaberry SDR and Peaberry Radio).
2) Is the ExtIO_Si570.dll correct?
3) What do you see when the HDSDR EXTIO button is clicked. Under the USB tab you should see something similar as depicted in the build manual. Make sure ABPF is off.
3) Does the LED blink rapidly in HDSDR TX mode?
4) Try a "reset to factory defaults" in HDSDR.

Do you have scope? If so you should see LO present at pins 14/2 at U6. You should see audio noise at pins 1/7 of U5.

I will give this more thought.

Seldom do these issues come down to bad components. 99% of the time the issue is caused by a bad solder connection (open, shorted) OR wonked out software. (I have lost count of the number times I have needed to reboot due to a wonked driver, dll or host application while working on the Peaberry firmware).
Ron / W4MMP
W4MMP

Postby AE9RB » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:12 pm

The video looks like the PCM3060 isn't fully connected.
73 David AE9RB
AE9RB
Site Admin

Postby jcaulkins » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:15 am

Ron,

Okay, here goes,

1. Yes, Peaberry shows up in the device manager in both places you mentioned, 1 as Peaberry radio, the other as Peaberry SDR.
2. In the HDSDR folder there is a file called ExtIO_Si570.dll, correct? I dont know, I think so, it used to work with my RXTX.
3. I see the exact same thing in my HDSDR EXTIO window when the USB tab is selected, that is in the manual, and ABPF is unchecked.
3. You stuttered on number 3, there's 2 of them:) Yes the LED flickers when I click TX.
4. I have reset all settings twice and then turned everything back on per the manual.

I do have a scope, and I checked at pins 14/2 of U6 and I find a square wave of sorts on both pins. I also see a small amount of noise on pins 1/7 of U5.

I'm at a loss as to what to do next. I do appreciate all you're doing to help me.

Joel
KB6QVI
jcaulkins

Postby jcaulkins » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:26 am

David,

I have completely resoldered the PCM3060 and checked it under two strong magnifying glasses, I'm relatively sure its okay, but I could be wrong. Ive touched it up twice, I'm afraid to keep heating it up. I didn't have any problems with the PSoC, and it has many more pins. Do you think I should touch up those pins as well? Could T2 have anything to do with this? Thanks for this cool kit.

Joel
KB6QVI
jcaulkins

Postby W4MMP » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:46 am

Could T2 have anything to do with this? Thanks for this cool kit.

Hi Joel,

I really don't think T2 has anything to do with the issue based on the recording you provided. If T2 was open or shorted the receiver would simply be dead (from a sensitivity point of view). I know David does not agree with this method of trouble shooting, but take wooden tooth pick and gently press on all the connections that make up the receive path. Start with U6 to U5, U10 and then the PSoC. Or you can work your way backwards from the PSoC. If you have an "open" this may find it. This will NOT help if you have a short somewhere. This can be tedious and time consuming but since you have visually scoped it all, I really don't know what else to offer. At the end of this, you will have found an open or a short somewhere.
W4MMP

Postby jcaulkins » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:53 am

Well, I feel like a idiot, out of desperation I decided to load HDSR and everything else on my laptop and tried it, and guess what? Yep, it works perfectly. So the issue is in my other computer which worked fine with the RXTX. Sorry for all the panic. Thanks for all the help too.

Joel
KB6QVI
jcaulkins

Postby W4MMP » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:32 am

jcaulkins wrote:Well, I feel like a idiot, out of desperation I decided to load HDSR and everything else on my laptop and tried it, and guess what? Yep, it works perfectly. So the issue is in my other computer which worked fine with the RXTX. Sorry for all the panic. Thanks for all the help too.

Joel
KB6QVI

Hi Joel,
Glad you have it working. On the suspect computer,
1) plug in the Peaberry and then in the device manager, delete the anything to do with the Peaberry.
2) Unplug the Peaberry.
3) Make sure you have the driver as listed on page 12 of the full build manual.
4) Plug in the Peaberry
5) Follow the directions on page 12/13.

The issue is the driver for the softrock is not 100% compatible with the Peaberry. It must be completely deleted from the system and the compatible driver installed.
Ron / W4MMP
W4MMP

Postby jcaulkins » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:17 am

Ah okay, makes sense, that's exactly what I'll do. Thanks again Ron.

Joel
KB6QVI
jcaulkins

Previous

Return to Peaberry SDR V2