Peaberry issue, maybe

General discussion and support for the Peaberry SDR V2.

Peaberry issue, maybe

Postby jcaulkins » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:47 am

I have just completed the receiver section of my Peaberry and all I'm hearing out of HDSDR Is a kind of electronic buzzin sound even with a good antenna connected. I heard this same sound at the end of the previous section also but thought it was because I hadn't finished the last receiver section, but it's still there and I have no receive on any band. I also don't seem to hear or feel the relay clicking as I change bands. Up until this point, the Peaberry passed all the tests with flying colors. Does anybody have a idea where to start looking? Thanks for any help.

Joel
KB6QVI
jcaulkins

Re: Peaberry issue, maybe

Postby TerryFrench » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:38 am

just to be sure, you followed the steps super carefully regarding the SW installation and configuration?
What kind of voltage is your power supply providing? (you need the power supply, not just USB cable, even for RX).
I remember having lots of weird stuff when testing the RX section and then I found that the battery I used as a test power supply was half dead and I was powering with many volts less than the expected 13.8V. AFAIK at 12V things are also not as great as with 13.8V for the Peaberry.

All in all, go on and invest in a good 10x magnifier loupe. I likely posted in the past the Amazon link I used for it (nice loupe that has some LED so it can light up what you look at). This was the best tool for building the Peaberry... solder issues are #1 (other than SW configuration issues later on) with this kit.

Good luck, don't give up, but when needed, take a break, leave it for a day then look at it with fresh eyes / clear mind :-)

Thierry KF7MXQ
TerryFrench

Postby jcaulkins » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:42 pm

Hi Thierry,

I had just built a Softrock RXTX a few months ago and many other SMD kits, so I have all the magnification tools at my disposal. I ran the reset app in HDSR and then configured it according to the instructions. I didn't get the si570.dll file because I already had it in HDSDR from my SR., should I get rid of that and reinstall? Also when the instructions say to set the bandwidth to 96K, do they mean both input and output or only one, it didn't specify. I tend to think there's some wrong with the SW as I was using it for the Softrock before. Thanks for your reply.

Joel
KB6QVI
jcaulkins

Postby W4MMP » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:16 pm

HI,
I need to ask a question. Does the Peaberry show up in the device manager as: (under libusb-win32 devices) Peaberry SDR? And (under Sound, video and game controllers) Peaberry Radio?

Yes, set both to 96000
Ron / W4MMP
W4MMP

Postby jcaulkins » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:27 pm

Hi Ron,

Yes to both of your questions, Peaberry Radio shows up in both of those places. Thanks for the bandwidth info.

Joel
KB6QVI
jcaulkins

Postby jcaulkins » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:19 pm

I remember when setting up the Softrock, I had to set the default radio in CFGSR to Softrock RXTX, it is still set to this under the INIT tab. Should that be set to something else? I don't see Peaberry in list.

Joel
KB6QVI
jcaulkins

Postby W4MMP » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:54 pm

Hi Joel,

Softrock RXTX is fine and correct. Also make sure that ABPF is not enabled (it probably is not as the RXTX would not have worked with it on). Any chance you can provide a screen shot of HDSDR?
Last edited by W4MMP on Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ron / W4MMP
W4MMP

Postby jcaulkins » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:56 pm

Here is brief video of problem. http://youtu.be/vy7hDwhCg4g?list=UU8AWJ ... Zg_w2fk1oA

Joel
KB6QVI
jcaulkins

Postby W4MMP » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:03 pm

That is a bad/marginal solder joint at U6. If not that then a problem with the Si570 connection from it to U6. Touch up all the solder connections on U6.
Ron / W4MMP
W4MMP

Postby jcaulkins » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:00 pm

Ron,

I have checked and resoldered U6 and all components coming from the si570 including the si570 itself. Not sure where to go from here. A new better video after resoldering. http://youtu.be/fcvqSB_nPGQ

Joel
KB6QVI
jcaulkins

Next

Return to Peaberry SDR V2