HDSDR not working

General discussion and support for the Peaberry SDR V2.

HDSDR not working

Postby pilotcfii » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:23 pm

It's been a while since I posted but I have a new problem. My PB V2 developed a problem after adding an external LED. Found that (extraneous solder). Now HDSDR comes up but will not respond to commands. I get the same result with the PB on or off. With the PB on I see the PB under "libusb-win32 devices" as "Peaberry SDR" and under "Sound, video and game controllers" as "Peaberry Radio". The file "ExtIO_Si570.dll" still exists under "C:\Program Files (x86)\HDSDR". I mention this because I recently upgraded my hard drive to an SSD, using some cloning software that I have had very good results from. This seemed to be no exception, as after cloning everything came up just as expected, only faster. I am running Win7 x64 on an I7 processor.

I have not yet uninstalled HDSDR but I am considering it. Before doing that though I'm hoping for a better solution. The PB may still have a problem but I don't think it's causing this problem.
Dan Malcolm
K4SHQ CFI/II
pilotcfii

Re: HDSDR not working

Postby W4MMP » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:24 pm

pilotcfii wrote:It's been a while since I posted but I have a new problem. My PB V2 developed a problem after adding an external LED. Found that (extraneous solder). Now HDSDR comes up but will not respond to commands. I get the same result with the PB on or off. With the PB on I see the PB under "libusb-win32 devices" as "Peaberry SDR" and under "Sound, video and game controllers" as "Peaberry Radio". The file "ExtIO_Si570.dll" still exists under "C:\Program Files (x86)\HDSDR". I mention this because I recently upgraded my hard drive to an SSD, using some cloning software that I have had very good results from. This seemed to be no exception, as after cloning everything came up just as expected, only faster. I am running Win7 x64 on an I7 processor.

I have not yet uninstalled HDSDR but I am considering it. Before doing that though I'm hoping for a better solution. The PB may still have a problem but I don't think it's causing this problem.

Hi Dan,
I found that HDSDR can get itself into a 'weird' state particular with all the testing I perform. The best thing to do is bring up: Options -> Misc. Options -> click on "Reset to Factory Settings". That has cleared things up for me a few times.
Ron / W4MMP
W4MMP

Postby pilotcfii » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:50 am

I would love to do that, unfortunately the only thing I can do with it is kill it if I'm using the PB. If I bring up HRD, HDSDR seems to function and displays signals from my FT-950. Not what I want be perhaps a work-around to do as you suggested. I didn't discover the FT-950 connection until after I posted. I think the factory reset is what is needed here. Thanks - 73
Dan Malcolm
K4SHQ CFI/II
pilotcfii

Postby W4MMP » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:34 am

Hum, OK.

As it goes without saying, but I will anyway. I'm probably confused.

But if HDSDR is really stuck try renaming the ExtIO_Si570.dll to ExtIO_Si570.OLDdll. Then start HDSDR. See if you can then perform the factory reset. If you can then rename it back and restart HDSDR.
(Just a thought)
Ron / W4MMP
W4MMP

Postby pilotcfii » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:59 pm

Ok Ron. Now I'm confused also and more confused today than yesterday. Today HDSDR responded. I did a factory reset, and it worked. It now appears that my PB is working correctly except without TX output. Guess it's time to troubleshoot that. I suspect the PA FET's are no long FETing.

Thanks for the help Ron.
Dan Malcolm
K4SHQ CFI/II
pilotcfii

Postby W4MMP » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:49 am

Dan,
Let me know if you want further assistance. I have a number of idea, but will wait until you get back here with an update.
Ron / W4MMP
W4MMP

Postby pilotcfii » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:35 pm

Thanks Ron. I appreciate that. it will be Wednesday or Thursday before I get a chance to look at the PB. I'll post what I find.
Dan Malcolm
K4SHQ CFI/II
pilotcfii

Postby pilotcfii » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:29 am

Ok first problem. I had removed the message/diagnostic LED (D4) and replaced it with a front panel mount version. Bad move if you need to troubleshoot, so now I need to go back and reinstall the SMT part. What do I order? I can find green SMT LED's but which size do I need?
Dan Malcolm
K4SHQ CFI/II
pilotcfii

Postby W4MMP » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:38 am

Hi,

They are 1206. See this thread: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=421#p2206

Stupid question time, but why can't you trouble shoot with the Peaberry in the case? I have done it quite often. Maybe I'm missing something.
Ron / W4MMP
W4MMP

Postby pilotcfii » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:30 am

I really want to go back to the SMT LED. Just personal preference.
Dan Malcolm
K4SHQ CFI/II
pilotcfii

Next

Return to Peaberry SDR V2