very low output

General discussion and support for the Peaberry SDR V2.

very low output

Postby n9seo » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:13 pm

Hello,

I just completed my build over the weekend and barring a few bridges I've cleaned up, I have a mostly working SDR Im very excited to get on the air. I was trying to trace the issue down but Im rather new at this stuff so Im going to ask. The fet at q4 does anyone know/have voltages out for this in rx/and tx mode? I can barely get any meter movement on the hf rig thats less than a foot away so I was trying to figure out if the bs170s need swaping or if its one of those tiny switcher fets or should I rip out the tx transformers and rewind them? Not too sure but man I love the rx on this guy, and barring this little issue its been very fun and I learned a few things.

This build is 30/20/17/15 if that matters. I dont have much else but a DMM and a hf transciever to check that area. I have a handful of extra bs170s from another project, but is there a quick safe way to test those with a dmm?

Appreciate any feedback

Kayne
Peaberry SDR v2 30/20/17/15m
n9seo

Re: very low output

Postby kz1x » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:09 pm

The majority of "does not TX" issues reported here over the past year or two have been software setup related.

I have to start by asking, some questions:

What SDR program are you using?

Does the LED blink in TX mode?

What TX mode have you selected?

Does your filter relay click as you switch bands?

Are you able to use your DMM milliammeter in line with your radio?

What power supply are you using?

The Elecraft DL1 allows you to use your DMM as a wattmeter for testing. Anther similar device:
http://www.qrpkits.com/dummyload.html
kz1x

Postby TerryFrench » Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:26 pm

I'd recommend to use HDSDR and follow to the letter the instructions in the manual.
Then you still need to check the various sound level settings: windows sound mixer if you are using Windows, and also the TX level in HDSDR (only accessible when transmitting), as well as the microphone level (or easier you can also generate some test signal with a key combination in HDSDR. Ctrl + Shift + G I believe) This site has sone nice tipe
https://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/installing-and-using-hdsdr

Basically setting up the SW correctly takes time and no 2 configs seems to be the same. Getting the SW "right" is the second part of the "build" :-)

Good luck, you have a working Peaberry very likely, and if not, you are very close.
TerryFrench

Postby n9seo » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:50 pm

Hello,

Well I thought that had fixed it. It did help explain why the finals where having a time generating a signal. Now i am stuck with another problem I have to figure out better what happened first.

When I woke up found the peaberry locked up in the sound section, meaning that the unit will not RX or TX but the Cypress LED is solid. I cannot make HDSDR tx but I can with the CFGSD tool. Not sure where to really look there yet. I had this pop up earlier but thougth it was a bad joint somewhere and reflowed the pins around the PCM and cypress ICs but otherwise not too sure what happened there yet.
n9seo

Postby n9seo » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:32 pm

Ok I have more work to do. I was able to restore TX by redoing my solder on pcm and the cypress. I can gen a carrier but the rx side still doesnt work. I wonder if the rx divider has a bad connection or is suspect in that side.
n9seo

Postby n9seo » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:47 pm

I found the RX issue was related to my 40m ocfd and the antenna tuners mechanical antenna switches. This seems to create a spike in the SDR and that would clobber the reciever. After I realized this, then I found the grounding was disconnected from the tuner.

So remember if you think your grounded, recheck it. Thanks to ae9rb for this great little kit. It was loads of fun putting it together and now I have to go buy a T1 ATU for this setup. :D

Kayne
n9seo

Return to Peaberry SDR V2