Maximum input voltage to Peaberry V2 ??

General discussion and support for the Peaberry SDR V2.

Maximum input voltage to Peaberry V2 ??

Postby K0ZYV » Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:56 pm

I have an Icom 12 volt power supply that puts out about 14.1 volts at 20 amps. It is running
a bit high, but still within Icom's specifications.

Is this voltage too high for the Peaberry V2?

thanks,
Paul K0ZYV
K0ZYV

Re: Maximum input voltage to Peaberry V2 ??

Postby AE9RB » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:49 pm

The Peaberry is designed for typical tolerances of regulated 13.8V power supplies and 6-cell Pb battery systems.

It's probably not ok to use a 12V power supply that's delivering 17.5% too much voltage. If this is in-spec according to Icom then it's not regulated and you shouldn't use it on anything other than the Icom device you bought it for.
73 David AE9RB
AE9RB
Site Admin

Postby AA5IT » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:08 am

Paul,

I would be curious to know what that supply's putting out under no -load conditions. If it's still 14.1 VDC then it's functioning properly. The fact it's still able to maintain 14.1 VDC under full load is a little suspect. As you are likely aware the electrical system in the car is a 13.8 VDC nominal system. Nominal means nominal, not maximum. The radios are designed to operate there, are aligned there, and spec'd there and survive surges all over the place in that automotive electrical system. Incidentally, I ran my Peaberry for a week at 15 VDC, 24 hours a day, transmitting on it every day. Nothing on it had any trouble with overheating anywhere near the manufacturer's specifications. I always try things like this at the extremes because I need to know how much abuse it can take before I start toting it around the world and powering it with whatever I can come up with in a pinch if a primary supply fails. As a design engineer in the medical industry, I must do this as a course of design to ensure the customer won't come back to me complaining the instrument is a piece of garbage and breaks at the first line surge from switching to and from the generator. David's design is pretty robust so you wouldn't need to worry about 14.1 VDC. Still wonder what that voltage is on that supply unloaded.
Frank
AA5IT

Postby N2TOH » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:25 am

perhaps Paul was stating it's outputting 14.1 volts DC, and the supply is rated to deliver at most 20 amps.

if that is the case if I were to speculate that 14.1VDC figure is with the supply unloaded, and that voltage will drop down a bit as that current rating is approached.
N2TOH

Postby N2TOH » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:47 pm

AE9RB wrote:The Peaberry is designed for typical tolerances of regulated 13.8V power supplies and 6-cell Pb battery systems.

It's probably not ok to use a 12V power supply that's delivering 17.5% too much voltage. If this is in-spec according to Icom then it's not regulated and you shouldn't use it on anything other than the Icom device you bought it for.

What about the minimum supply voltage? before glitches and undesirable results start to occur.

never mind I found the data sheet for the voltage regulators, it seems to be around 1.1 to 1.2 Volts higher then the output, and an absolute maximum of 20 Volts.
N2TOH

Postby N2TOH » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:52 pm

After reading the April QST article about Lithium polymer battery voltage reducers, I'd like to know who has tried the peaberry with a 4 cell lipo battery?

The voltage for a fully charged 4 cell battery should be around 16.8 Volts DC
N2TOH

Return to Peaberry SDR V2