Iambic Firmware for the Peaberry (Release Thread)

General discussion and support for the Peaberry SDR V2.

Re: Iambic Firmware for the Peaberry (Release Thread)

Postby W4MMP » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:51 pm

Hi Art,
Thanks for getting back to me. Yes, semi break-in will work with any mode of keying. The circuit is extremely simple: one transistor (2n3904), one solid state relay (TLP222A) and two resistors. Add a stereo patch cable and a RS232 cable and you are in business. I just finished breading boarding the circuit. If you want to get fancy, add a 5V voltage regulator (so that the resistor values do not need to be changed depending on supply voltage). Power it with a battery and it is completely isolated (no ground loops). I will post a schematic once I figure out a new piece of software I am using to design schematics.
Ron / W4MMP
W4MMP

Postby TerryFrench » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:04 pm

[not related]
The HR-50 is great. Just make sure the 4 pot you get to set the bias on the xxxFET transistors are good before soldering them. i.e. check them with an ohm-meter. Mine and those of many builders were bad. (bad batch of parts from the factory). They are a pain to remove... So check that they are all within range, then solder them. The kit seller will send you replacement parts if what you had is bad, just ask him.
Also decide if you will eventually build the ATU or not. If you do, you cannot put the preamp inside the HR-50 case. A couple of filters inductors might also be different
Last tip, besides checking hobbypcb forums for info, take your time and re-count the turns of your inductors before installing them :-) (or pay the "torroid guy" for a set of inductors).
The kit itself goes fast. Much easier / faster than the Peaberry kit due to mostly big through-hole components to solder and less complexity.

Have fun.
Thierry
KF7MXQ
TerryFrench

Postby W4MMP » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:57 pm

Hello,

There is a new version of the CW/Iambic firmware available. This version supports semi break-in with a caveat or two. It is fully backwards compatible with all previous releases and David's original version. If the new semi break-in function is not turned on, there is no difference in the functionality. A CW interface device is required to make use of the new semi break-in feature. It is a very simple circuit and a schematic is available on the codeplex web site. The interface is connected to the Peaberry ATU port at one end and a PC comm port at the other. ATU_0 is used for signaling the interface device. The PC side of the interface is attached to lines CTS and DTR of the comm port. When a key is pressed the interface activates a solid state relay which closes the connection between CTS and DTR. This in turn tells HDSDR to go into transmit mode. HDSDR must be configured to use CTS as the PTT line (Options -> CAT to HDSDR -> PTT Activation Pins -> CTS). The new function works with all previous modes of operation (straight key, electronic keyer, internal iambic). Another small change is the LED is now a bit more informative. It will now blink letters to indicate which mode the Peaberry is in.
"C" -> CW mode, "C I" -> CW mode and Iambic mode, "C S" -> CW mode and Semi Break-in, "C I S" -> CW mode, Iambic mode, Semi Break-in mode.

OK, the caveat(s)
1) Due to the response time of HDSDR which is slower than molasses in January the first element (or two, depending on CW speed) is missed when using the key port. The work around is tap the key and then start sending. I believe HDSDR is polling the comm port when it should be using interrupts. I thought a lot about how to resolve this, but at the present time, I'm drawing a blank. (BTW: the comm port I am using is a PCI attached port so hardware latency should not be the issue).
2) Very occasionally the Peaberry and HDSDR will get stuck in transmit mode. The work around is to simply tap the key and things will return to normal. This again is due to the slow response time of HDSDR but I think I have a solution and will be working on implementing it during the coming weeks.

This release is definitely ALPHA. Attempting to perform real time processing with equipment and software that is far from real time is a challenge. But I think I have a workable solution. For those interested, more information will be available along with a theory of operations on the codeplex site. http://peaberryv2iambic.codeplex.com/

A new user[x] frequency manger file is required and is available on the codeplex site.

Happy New Year,
Ron / W4MMP
W4MMP

Postby K0ZYV » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:01 pm

Those of you that are trying this code, how does is work for you.
I am considering adding it to my PB V2.

Please comment for a newbie!

thanks,

Paul K0ZYV
K0ZYV

Postby WB8ENE » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:03 am

Paul,

I haven't tried the latest version, but I've used earlier versions of Ron's CW firmware for the PB V2, and they work great. Ron did a fantastic job.

Art WB8ENE
WB8ENE

Postby K0ZYV » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:49 am

Thanks Art.

I will start gathering parts for the interface and prepared to
upgrade the software.

Any other users have comments on how it is working?

Paul
K0ZYV

Postby W4MMP » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:57 am

Paul,

I will start gathering parts for the interface and prepared to
upgrade the software.

You don't need an interface device if you don't plan to use the semi break-in version (which is still in alpha test, anyway)
Ron / W4MMP
W4MMP

Postby W4MMP » Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:32 pm

This thread is closed.

Please see: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=469
Ron / W4MMP
W4MMP

Previous

Return to Peaberry SDR V2