Iambic Firmware for the Peaberry (Release Thread)

General discussion and support for the Peaberry SDR V2.

Re: Iambic Firmware for the Peaberry (Release Thread)

Postby WB8ENE » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:55 pm

Ron,

Well I finally got around to loading your new firmware. The iambic function works well. I tried plugging headphones into the ATU jack, and turned on the sound (internal). When I went into transmit, I got a constant carrier. By the way, using internal sound, you would need a pull up resistor to an external DC source since the output is open collector. I don't know why I got constant carrier, but the other channel on the headphones would have presented a low resistance load on ATU_0 (tip).

I also tried a "reset defaults" using your user5.csv file. The iambic and cw mode stayed on. I found that the frequency in the list for reset defaults was not 33999999. After I updated this frequency, the reset defaults worked fine.

I used the Peaberry V2 at 1 Watt for the SKCC weekend sprint, and made a 3948 mile contact to France.

Art WB8ENE
WB8ENE

Postby W4MMP » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:17 am

WB8ENE wrote:Ron,

Well I finally got around to loading your new firmware. The iambic function works well. I tried plugging headphones into the ATU jack, and turned on the sound (internal). When I went into transmit, I got a constant carrier. By the way, using internal sound, you would need a pull up resistor to an external DC source since the output is open collector. I don't know why I got constant carrier, but the other channel on the headphones would have presented a low resistance load on ATU_0 (tip).

I also tried a "reset defaults" using your user5.csv file. The iambic and cw mode stayed on. I found that the frequency in the list for reset defaults was not 33999999. After I updated this frequency, the reset defaults worked fine.

I used the Peaberry V2 at 1 Watt for the SKCC weekend sprint, and made a 3948 mile contact to France.

Art WB8ENE

Hi Art,
Yes, anything that uses the ATU_1 (ring) connection needs a supply voltage and a pull up resistor. I chose ATU_1 because it has a measure of isolation due to the open collector transistor. ATU_0 has no real isolation. It does not mean it couldn't be used (it is not programmed for generation at the moment) but one would need to be more cautious when attaching external equipment to it. I will plug my headset into the port and listen for what you have described.

Yes, I found that same mistake in the user[x].csv file just a bit earlier today before your post. I have uploaded a new version of the user[x].csv file to the codeplex website.

Excellent on your 1 Watt contact. What type of antenna were you using?

Thank you very much for giving the new firmware a bit of workout. Did you find the keying speed to be in line with what you are use to? It took a bit to get the internal timing constant set at least somewhat to the correct value.. I set the ATU port to external (with a voltage reference and pull up resistor) and attached an O'scope to determine the pulse width the Peaberry is generating at 20WPM. A dit at 20WPM is theoretically 35ms so that is what I set the timing constant to generate. Thanks again very much for testing the new firmware.
Ron / W4MMP
W4MMP

Postby WB8ENE » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:30 pm

Ron,

My antenna was a 20 meter half wave dipole up about 20 feet.

I didn't really use iambic mode much; I just connected a paddle to see if it worked, so at this point I couldn't comment on the accuracy of the WPM. I did try the default, and also the 10 WPM.

Art WB8ENE
WB8ENE

Postby W4MMP » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:29 pm

Hi

A new version of the firmware is available:

10-13-2014
1) This release implements a new method for de-bouncing key contacts. Prior to this release de-bouncing detection was performed in software. De-bouncing is now performed using a hardware component of the PSoC chip.
2) The iambic code speed was not correct. The CW code generation was too fast. The CW generation should be more in line with code generated by external electronic keyers.
3) Other non critical fixes have been implemented. The code was cleaned up a bit.

https://peaberryv2iambic.codeplex.com/
Ron / W4MMP
W4MMP

Postby WB8ENE » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:39 pm

Ron,

I loaded your latest firmware this past weekend. Since I haven't used iambic mode other than just trying it out, I don't know if the speed changed or not. By the way, I never had the verification routine of the bootloader host fail with one memory block failing. It has always worked fine for me. I updated the Cypress PSoC Creator just before loading your original iambic code though.

There were a couple things I noticed. First, after loading the latest code, I had the Peaberry V2 on a dummy load, and turned on CW mode. I entered CTRL+SHIFT+U, then hit the space bar to go into transmit mode. When I hit the spacebar again to go to receive mode, I noticed a brief tone before the receiver became active. It happens both on 20 meters and 40 meters, but is louder on 20. I loaded the previous version of the iambic code to see if this was something new to the latest version, and it did the same thing. I guess I never noticed it before, because of the band noise present with an antenna connected. This is not a problem, just an observation.

The second thing I noticed, and I remember noticing this on the original iambic code too, is that when I turn on iambic mode using the magic number, I hear a faint dah dah dah... in the speaker until I switch the frequency back to one of the amateur bands. Again, this is not a problem, just an observation.

I didn't have much time this past weekend to get on the air, being busy with watching my grandson and doing chores around the house, but a Straight Key Century Club sprint is coming up this Wednesday evening (local time), so I'll be running the Peaberry in the 1 Watt category again, using HDSDR.

Art WB8ENE
WB8ENE

Postby W4MMP » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:17 am

WB8ENE wrote:Ron,

I loaded your latest firmware this past weekend. Since I haven't used iambic mode other than just trying it out, I don't know if the speed changed or not. By the way, I never had the verification routine of the bootloader host fail with one memory block failing. It has always worked fine for me. I updated the Cypress PSoC Creator just before loading your original iambic code though.

Hum, interesting. I assume you are using bootloader host, correct assumption? I think I know what is going on with this. At the risk of boring you ;) , there two separate pieces of code. One is the bootloader and then a second that is actually the peaberry firmware code (the part that makes things work). The bootloader by name is pretty much what it does. It waits for bootloader host to send it something. I found that when using boot loader host, only the new peaberry firmware is uploaded to the peaberry the new bootloader is not included. When the firmware is uploaded with the Cypress miniprog3, the whole shoot'n match is uploaded. This is where the bug resides. There is a conflict between the new bootloader and some things I'm doing with storing variables in flash memory. Since you are not using the new bootloader you will not see the issue.

WB8ENE wrote:There were a couple things I noticed. First, after loading the latest code, I had the Peaberry V2 on a dummy load, and turned on CW mode. I entered CTRL+SHIFT+U, then hit the space bar to go into transmit mode. When I hit the spacebar again to go to receive mode, I noticed a brief tone before the receiver became active. It happens both on 20 meters and 40 meters, but is louder on 20. I loaded the previous version of the iambic code to see if this was something new to the latest version, and it did the same thing. I guess I never noticed it before, because of the band noise present with an antenna connected. This is not a problem, just an observation.

I do not experience this exact issue. However, I do experience the tone in a somewhat different manor. Whenever a magic number is double clicked I hear a tone. Switching between any magic number, the tone is generated. However if I double click on a magic number , hear the tone, and then switch to a regular frequency I don't hear the tone. In other words, I only hear the tone when switching TO and BETWEEN magic numbers. I know what may be causing the issue.

But a big thanks, since messing around with this issue I found a rather serious bug that can cause the Peaberry to into la-la land. Not to worry, it is corrected by power cycling the peaberry. It only happens if HDSDR is switched back and forth between magic numbers often and quickly. It is timing issue caused when writing to the flash memory which appears to be exceeding slow. I will need to re-think how and when data is stored in the flash memory.

WB8ENE wrote:The second thing I noticed, and I remember noticing this on the original iambic code too, is that when I turn on iambic mode using the magic number, I hear a faint dah dah dah... in the speaker until I switch the frequency back to one of the amateur bands. Again, this is not a problem, just an observation.

I don't experience that issue at all, however I'm running a newer unreleased version which may be the reason.

WB8ENE wrote:I didn't have much time this past weekend to get on the air, being busy with watching my grandson and doing chores around the house, but a Straight Key Century Club sprint is coming up this Wednesday evening (local time), so I'll be running the Peaberry in the 1 Watt category again, using HDSDR.

Hey, good luck ! The firmware, except for bug fixes, pretty much finished. Now it is time for me to get serious about operating CW. Which as I have mentioned several times was the reason I got back into ham radio. The other stuff is easy, CW was always the challenge.
Ron / W4MMP
W4MMP

Postby W4MMP » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:03 am

New version release 10-22-2014

1) Corrected a bug where CW mode was not being always being stored in flash memory.
2) Modified the method for storing data in flash memory to correct an issue that caused the Peaberry to become unresponsive.
3) When in transmit mode, magic numbers are now inoperative. Prior to this release clicking on a magic number while in transmit mode would cause unpredictable results. No mode setting data will be accessed or modified while in transmit mode. Note: It was never a good idea to click on a magic number while in transmit mode, since doing so would cause the Peaberry to attempt transmit out of band.
4) Due to timing issues, a time slot was required for proper operations. To accomplish this, the time slot used to detect the boot jumper was repurposed. Setting the boot jumper to the boot setting will no longer cause the Peaberry to go into boot mode while it is running in normal mode. Now, when the boot jumper is in the boot position, the Peaberry must be power cycled for force boot mode.

This will be the last release for sometime to come. It appears to be stable. I'm moving on to other code development areas. Specifically a new ExtIO.dll will be developed that moves all the magic number stuff out of HDSDR to the DLL. It will take a while as I have little to use as an example. This "free as in beer" issue with much of the SDR software available is getting bothersome. Thanks again to David for keeping his code "free as in speech". The new DLL will be also be free and open source.
Ron / W4MMP
W4MMP

Postby W4MMP » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:37 pm

New version release 12-07-2014 VERSION 14.110

12-07-2014
1) Due to a misunderstanding (among other things) on my part of how the bootloader and bootloadable components interact with each other the firmware is now supplied with David's original bootloader. The bootloader will blink "BOOT" is it did with the original firmware.
2) The internal sound feature has been removed. Implementing this feature is very problematic, so it has been removed.
3) The LED now has four states of blink. A) Solid ON - Normal run state (no CW mode). B) Slow blink rate - CW mode ON AND Iambic mode OFF. C) Very slow blink rate - CW mode AND Iambic mode ON. D) Very fast blink rate - Transmit ON
4) The firmware now uses EEPROM for permanent storage of the various CW/Iambic parameters. This saves ware and tare on the Flash memory.
5) The firmware now reports a valid version number. The format is in the form:
{YY}.{MM}{Release Number} EX. 14.110. The version may be obtained by running the CFGSR utility in ether stand alone more or from within HDSDR.
6) The firmware has been restored to the original mode of boot operations. When the boot jumper is in the boot position, the Peaberry will remain in boot mode even if new firmware has been uploaded. This how the Peaberry functioned originally.
Ron / W4MMP
W4MMP

Postby KA1CFP » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:47 am

I just installed Ron's latest firmware and "magic numbers" file and can confirm CW works just great on HDSDR with either straight key or paddles connected directly to the KEY jack on the Peaberry. Try it, you'll like it!

Marshall
KA1CFP
KA1CFP

Postby W4MMP » Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:34 am

KA1CFP wrote:I just installed Ron's latest firmware and "magic numbers" file and can confirm CW works just great on HDSDR with either straight key or paddles connected directly to the KEY jack on the Peaberry. Try it, you'll like it!

Marshall
KA1CFP

Hi Marshall,

Thanks very much!!
Please come back to the forum with any problem reports or suggestions. I am particularly keen to know how the Iambic functions work. If you intend to use the Iambic keying function, please give it a good work out and let me know how it "feels".
Ron / W4MMP
W4MMP

PreviousNext

Return to Peaberry SDR V2