Reading band data from ATU port with Arduino

General discussion and support for the Peaberry SDR V2.

Reading band data from ATU port with Arduino

Postby AE9RB » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:25 pm

The ATU port on the Peaberry V2 can be used for more than just an Elecraft T1. Here's an Arduino sketch that reads the band data:

https://github.com/AE9RB/peaberry/blob/ ... no_atu.ino

It uses a single pin from the Arduino so there's plenty of available GPIOs to control to your amplifier or antenna switches.
73 David AE9RB
AE9RB
Site Admin

Re: Reading band data from ATU port with Arduino

Postby ut1wpr » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:02 am

Hello, David.
I hasn't experince with Elecraft protocol. So need your confirmation in my sketch reading result.
It seems that external device such as T1 or amplifier or BPF is an ACTIVE device? They are always polling the trx with start pulse of 50 mS, then get PWM code of band index? Is it correct or no?
How frequently must be send requests (polling interval)? 10 mS, 50 mS jr for example 500 mS?
And what will be happened if "request pulse" will NOT send to trx?
Does the trx become an active when trx change band himself? Or this event has take place only after request?

Thanks in advance, dear David.
Vic/ut1wpr
ut1wpr

Postby AE9RB » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:37 pm

The protocol is documented in the Elecraft T1 manual:
www.elecraft.com/manual/T1%20owners%20m ... v%20A2.pdf

I don't understand the problem you're having so I'm not sure how to help. Maybe we should start at the very beginning. Using my unmodified sketch, connect the Arduino ATU_0 pin and ground to the radio ATU jack. Run the sketch and open the Arduino console at 9600bps. Tell me what you see on the console as you change bands from HDSDR.
73 David AE9RB
AE9RB
Site Admin

Postby ut1wpr » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:02 pm

AE9RB wrote:The protocol is documented in the Elecraft T1 manual:
http://www.elecraft.com/manual/T1%20own ... v%20A2.pdf

I don't understand the problem you're having so I'm not sure how to help. Maybe we should start at the very beginning. Using my unmodified sketch, connect the Arduino ATU_0 pin and ground to the radio ATU jack. Run the sketch and open the Arduino console at 9600bps. Tell me what you see on the console as you change bands from HDSDR.
Thank you David very much for paying your attention.
Mainly I hasn't any problem, just a small detail want to understand exactly.
In two wordls: what will send TRX if T1 will not connected to other side of wire?
I make homebrew band decoder and write control program by myself. And want to know, WHO IS MASTER and WHO IS SLAVE in a pair TRX<->Band decoder?
Is it nessecery to send request pulse with duration of 50 mS from band decoder to TRX?
Probably my bad English make some misunderstanding me. Pity :(
Thanks again dear David for your help.
Vic/ut1wpr
ut1wpr

Postby AE9RB » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:09 pm

The Peaberry will send the band data whenever it sees a 50ms pulse on ATU_0. If nothing is connected to ATU_0 port then nothing will be sent as there is nothing requesting data. Yes, it is necessary to send the 50ms pulse. I don't know what is master and slave as this is not the terminology used in the T1 documentation.

If you're making your own implementation then it might be easiest to start by borrowing an Arduino to run my program and watch what happens.
73 David AE9RB
AE9RB
Site Admin

Return to Peaberry SDR V2