Build experience and my build notes

General discussion and support for the Peaberry SDR V1.

Build experience and my build notes

Postby hansvi » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:07 am

Hello,

I just built a Peaberry kit for 40/30/20m, and I must say I'm very impressed. It's obvious a lot of effort (and love) went into the design of this kit! The build was a lot of fun, it was my second SMD project and I managed just fine with U10 and U11 presoldered. (I even think I could have managed soldering those, but I'm not complaining at all that they were already placed ;) ).

Here are some notes I made during the build:

Winding the coils:
If you live outside the US, this inch to cm conversion table might come in handy.

It seems that the coils are best winded clockwise, if the wire is pulled from below to above the middle hole. It's not a big deal at all, but based on the location of the soldering holes on the PCB it makes mounting a tiny bit more 'natural'.

Step 13
In case you are wondering, the collector of Q3 is the single pin.

Step 14
Pin 1 of U3 and U4 are not super obvious. On U3, there is a very small white triangle printed at pin 1. On U4, pin 1 is slightly wider.

Step 15
Never underestimate those connectors, double check that they are pressed tightly against the PCB...

Step 16
The debug connector is difficult to place with U11 in place. But if you have a very fine soldering iron tip, that helps a lot.

Step 17
It's ok to panic about the Si570 having no no legs, but that's no reason not to see if its orientation is correct (desoldering that chip is no fun at all). It's not very difficult to solder, just keep calm, use flux and common sense.

Step 18

Testing with Linux, I didn't get any sound on the speakers. After a while I found a windows laptop, and there everything worked ok.
Linux does recognize the USB sound device, though. But I'll have to retest the no sound problem, as I discovered a problem with a bad contact on the plug of the earbuds I used.

Code: Select all
hans@Aspire:~$ cat /proc/asound/modules
 0 snd_hda_intel
 1 snd_usb_audio
hans@Aspire:~$ cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [Intel          ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
                      HDA Intel at 0xd4500000 irq 46
 1 [SDR            ]: USB-Audio - Peaberry SDR
                      AE9RB Peaberry SDR at usb-0000:00:1d.7-3.1, full speed
hans@Aspire:~$


Step 20
The connections of the transformers aren't very clear. I found this message from Ve7pke on the forum very helpful:

Transformer goes like this. The ensemble doc have lot of detail.
The two pins with the bar is where the primary goes.
The first secondary then goes in the next two pins beside the line.
The second secondary goes in the next two pins.


Transmitter
Building the transmitter went uneventful, but I haven't been able to test it yet.

---
That's it for now, next up is getting everything working on Linux (I think I'll have to write some code to get quisk running, but once I get that I'll post another log).
Last edited by hansvi on Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
73,
Hans - ON8VQ
hansvi
 
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:37 am

Re: Build experience and my build notes

Postby AE9RB » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:20 am

Awesome. Thanks for the report. The radio will fully work under Linux once you figure it out so keep at it. The notes in my PSK31 transmitter utility may be helpful: https://github.com/WardCunningham/Small ... /twadio.rb
73 David AE9RB
AE9RB
Site Admin
 
Posts: 511
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:27 am
Location: Portland, Oregon, USA (CN85ql)


Return to Peaberry SDR V1

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron