Peaberry SDR for field day operation

General discussion and support for the Peaberry SDR V1.

Peaberry SDR for field day operation

Postby Seletivechoice » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:31 pm

Dave,
I am interested in Peaberry SDR for field operation, where I just need a single USB cable to connect the transceiver to a laptop. However, I have some questions about this setup:

1. With just a USB cable, how does the digital mode software such as FLDIGI get the audio source? Must the laptop have a built-in sound card?
2. If the laptop has a built-in sound card, can the audio be routed to the laptop's speaker, instead of using a speaker connected to the Peaberry SDR?
3. I am assuming that what's heard through the speaker connected to the Peaberry SDR is the audio after being processed by the SDR software (e.g. Applying 500 Hz CW filter will change the way it sounds off the speaker directly connected to the Peaberry SDR, etc). Is this correect?
4. Is the audio output of the Peaberry SDR loud enough for field day operation?
5. Do you have any suggestion for a SDR software which has built-in digital mode transmit/receive such as PSK31, etc? that would be nice not to launch separate application.

Thanks, Dave!

73,
Johanes
Seletivechoice
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:19 pm

Re: Peaberry SDR for field day operation

Postby AE9RB » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:17 pm

Seletivechoice wrote:1. With just a USB cable, how does the digital mode software such as FLDIGI get the audio source? Must the laptop have a built-in sound card?

Digital mode software like fldigi requires a virtual connection to SSB software such as HDSDR or PowerSDR-IQ.
Seletivechoice wrote:2. If the laptop has a built-in sound card, can the audio be routed to the laptop's speaker, instead of using a speaker connected to the Peaberry SDR?

The extra sound card on the Peaberry is just a generic sound card. Use it or not, up to you.
Seletivechoice wrote:3. I am assuming that what's heard through the speaker connected to the Peaberry SDR is the audio after being processed by the SDR software (e.g. Applying 500 Hz CW filter will change the way it sounds off the speaker directly connected to the Peaberry SDR, etc). Is this correect?

The SPKR is a simple audio device. It plays whatever your computer sends it.
Seletivechoice wrote:4. Is the audio output of the Peaberry SDR loud enough for field day operation?

You need powered speakers. There is nothing special about the SPKR/MIC ports. They are just like the speaker and mic ports on a computer.
Seletivechoice wrote:5. Do you have any suggestion for a SDR software which has built-in digital mode transmit/receive such as PSK31, etc? that would be nice not to launch separate application.

I do not have any software recommendations. Last time I tried fldigi it required three other applications running. If you come up with a nice solution for digital modes, please document it and share it.
73 David AE9RB
AE9RB
Site Admin
 
Posts: 511
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:27 am
Location: Portland, Oregon, USA (CN85ql)

Re: Peaberry SDR for field day operation

Postby Seletivechoice » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:49 pm

Dave,
On my question #1, do you mean SDR software, instead of SSB software? Do I need to get Virtual Audio Cable (VAC) software, too?
Thanks for fast reply :-)

73,
Johanes
Seletivechoice
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:19 pm

Re: Peaberry SDR for field day operation

Postby AE9RB » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:58 pm

You need an application for SDR that does SSB for fldigi. I think Windows users often use VAC. Maybe one can chime in and share their setup.
73 David AE9RB
AE9RB
Site Admin
 
Posts: 511
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:27 am
Location: Portland, Oregon, USA (CN85ql)


Return to Peaberry SDR V1

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron