peaberry can't receive (pictures inside)

General discussion and support for the Peaberry SDR V1.

peaberry can't receive (pictures inside)

Postby reiser4 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:19 pm

Hi, I just spent the last 7 hours building and testing the peaberry I received today.

USB device is recognized and I can actually play songs with speakers output (but with some noise sometimes). Looks like Si570 is not recognized; sdrsharp can't tune it, and all I get is some noise with or without antenna attached.

link to pictures: first sdr# is with "peaberry line" and second is "peaberry mic"

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/h196w6ivu66ddqb/ZivQVGXBUI

I already checked all solder points and re-did some but I'm stuck here, what's the next step?
reiser4

Re: peaberry can't receive (pictures inside)

Postby AE9RB » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:31 pm

It's normal to get errors with CFGSR when tying to access features that don't make sense like the automatic BPF as in your screenshot.

The speaker should sound perfect. If you're getting noise on both output (speaker) and input (receiver) then the problem points to the PCM3060. Could be an intermittent connection on one of the pins connecting it to the PSoC. Or maybe two signals are shorted.
73 David AE9RB
AE9RB
Site Admin

Postby reiser4 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:38 pm

ok, so you see the same in CFGSR? How can I check where is the mistake? I used some acid flux and alcohol to remove it, maybe some residues are giving troubles? already ordered a no-clean flux, will arrive in some days.

thanks
reiser4

Postby AE9RB » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:20 am

There's really no secret. Good lighting and a spy glass.
73 David AE9RB
AE9RB
Site Admin

Postby reiser4 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:25 pm

Hi, I just checked again but I can't find the mistake. I cleaned the board and re-did some solders, then checked for short circuits and for inductors continuity. U6 is warm, is this expected?
reiser4

Postby AE9RB » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:23 am

All the ICs will get warm to some degree or another. U6 will get warmed by U1 just because it's close. Since you have distorted audio from the speaker maybe you can play a steady tone through it and post a recording. From your description, it sounds like the problem is between U10 and U11, but that's not guaranteed. Double check all the resistors and transistors for the proper value.

Nearly all problems are with soldering and these require a stubborn perseverance. Try a different room, different light, different lens, different day, etc. If you are unable to see the problem yourself, get a friend to look at it. Someone at your local ham club will have experience with PCB assembly. There are also maker clubs popping up all over the space. Be sure to bring the radio and don't be surprised that some of these clubs meet in a pub where folks aren't shy about powering up their soldering iron to help someone.

http://www.arrl.org/find-a-club
http://makezine.com/groups/index.csp
73 David AE9RB
AE9RB
Site Admin

Return to Peaberry SDR V1