usbsoftrock on gnu/linux

General discussion and support for the Peaberry SDR V1.

usbsoftrock on gnu/linux

Postby Nazim » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:19 am

Hello Everyone,

Anybody got usbsoftrock controlling si570 frequency in linux?

Mine (ubuntu 12.04 x64) outputs:
Code: Select all
Could not open USB device "DG8SAQ-I2C" with vid=0x16c0 pid=0x5dc, retrying
Permanent problem opening usb device. Giving up.

Perhaps usbsoftrock needs to be modifed to use a correct usb endpoint. I have no issues changing frequency on windows using a native gui utility.
Nazim

Re: usbsoftrock on gnu/linux

Postby DJ&OA » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:33 pm

Hello,

As the error message indicates, you have no DG8SAQ controller.

Therefore, in usbsoftrock.c at about lines 74/75, you will have to change #define VENDOR_NAME to "AE9RB" and #define PRODUCT_NAME to "Peaberry SDR" and to repeat the configure, make and make install steps. usbsoftrock then is operative.

Possibly gnuradio and/or Linrad will be content with that, but quisk complains that 'snd_usb_audio' has already grabbed the libbusb-interface (as may be seen from dmesg).

G3VBV was so kind to provide a configuration for quisk based on the VK6JBL version which is based on usbsoftrock, but also this version does not play very nice with Peaberry (compared with Ensemble RX/TX). Unfortunately, I had no time so far to investigate this matter further.

HDSDR under VMWARE Windows XP is fully operative on RX and TX with Peaberry if the drivers etc from git are installed.

Please advise if you have more success with other versions under Linux.

73, Rainer, DJ6OA
DJ&OA

Postby Nazim » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:42 am

Hi Rainer,
Thanks for advise! Changing VENDOR_NAME and PRODUCT_NAME works. I'll make a small patch for supplying different VENDOR_NAME and PRODUCT_NAME via getopt(). Perhaps, it's even better to move some of the usbsoftrock configuration options into a simple configuration file. Will let you know about my experiences with Linrad and Quisk on linux.

Nazim
Nazim

Postby Nazim » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:18 pm

Hi Rainer, I was able to use quisk with a Peaberry. Below is my .quisk_conf.py. I was able to listen, but si570 control is not working. Will try to fix that during the weekends.
Aliases of the sound cards are listed in /proc/asound/. I've copied them into .quisk_conf and receiver started working. Are you sure you have specified correct card in your quisk config?

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 5 Jan 18 19:16 PCH -> card0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 5 Jan 18 19:16 SDR -> card1

----x .quisk_conf.py x------
Code: Select all
si570_direct_control = True
si570_xtal_freq = 114211833

sample_rate = 48000
playback_rate = 48000
name_of_sound_capt = "hw:SDR"
name_of_sound_play = "hw:PCH"
channel_i = 0
channel_q = 1

usb_vendor_id = 0x16c0
usb_product_id = 0x05dc
Nazim

Postby DJ&OA » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:19 pm

Hi Nazim,

Unfortunately, you are at the starting point of the problems.

Quisk audio is ok with Si570 direct control, and Si570 control via usbsoftrock is ok after rmmod snd_usb_audio, but as long as module snd_usb_audio is active, is does not allow further access for controlling SI570. You can't have both, audio and Si570 control. Have a look at dmesg if you try to do so.

I take it that we will have to re-write at least the hardware_usb.py in the softrock directory, but have presently no time to study this matter.

73, Rainer
DJ&OA

Postby DJ&OA » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:33 am

Hi Nazim,

After remembering the FIFI SDR receiver which also has an integrated sound card. I only had to slightly modify the quisk_hardware_fifisdr-4.py of the FIFI SDR and use it as quisk_hardware in .quisk_config.py to get receive with the peaberry operative.

Have to check transmit over the weekend, and then will try to upload the required files.

73, Rainer
DJ&OA

Return to Peaberry SDR V1