TX testing

General discussion and support for the Peaberry SDR V1.

TX testing

Postby Ve7pke » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:37 am

I am trying to check out the TX before I connect up an antenna.
Using HDSDR
Selecting CW
TX enabled in software
If I press TX button it transmits
Connecting up a set of Bencher paddles does not work.
Does this mean HDSDR will not work on CW with paddles? What software is suggested.
Current is 160 ma on RX
260ma on TX
Any alignment required?
Any known issues with TX side. Any troubleshooting tips.
A quick look with a Spectrum Analyzer did not look very promising.
Thanks
Dave
VE7PKE
Ve7pke

Re: TX testing

Postby AE9RB » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:52 am

HDSDR sends CW with the enter key. There's no way to use a paddle or straight key.

No hardware alignment is required. Optionally, you can calibrate the Si570 with CFGSR. A new Peaberry will self-calibrate to within 100Hz so this step isn't absolutely necessary like it is with a SoftRock or other radios based on DG8SAQ code.
73 David AE9RB
AE9RB
Site Admin

Postby Ve7pke » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:24 am

David,
Thanks for reply,
Can you suggest a piece of software that uses the paddles?

Dave
Ve7pke

Postby AE9RB » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:40 pm

Try PowerSDR-IQ, Rocky, or Quisk.
73 David AE9RB
AE9RB
Site Admin

Postby Ve7pke » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:33 am

David,
After messing around some more I am thinking the TX hardware might be ok but the software is making me chase my own tail.
Can you be more specific about which version etc of SDR-iQ, Rocky and Quisk you are using and work for you. And what setting you are using.
The version of HDSDR I was using seems to have few things not working. For instance I am not able to get it to send a carrier on CW. As I am typing and thinking its probably because you have to both hit the TX button and key with a key on the keypad. Using a touchscreen on the bench computer so didn't have a keypad. I did hook up a mic hit TX and spoke and it actually works. :-) will do more testing tomorrow.

Tried Rocky 3.7 but gave up as it did not seem to identify audio device properly identified as audio 01 and 02. Did not seem to get Meyer to work.

So which specific version of SDR-IQ have you had success with? And which version of Quick. Also pointer to setup details please.

To sum it up it looks like radio works as built but lack of success is all due to not having a known baseline of software version and configure to work with.

Having that would have saved you answering my many questions.
Hardware seems very nice, kit was a joy to build. Software and thus success has been elusive.

As you offer a rescue service you must have a configuration you use to test things out. I can't imagine you enjoy fixing others mistakes can't make much at it as troubleshooting and testing takes time. Publishing that setup would be a great baseline and should be a step before unit is returned.

Thanks
Dave
Ve7pke

Postby AE9RB » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:22 am

I'm sorry that you're having so much trouble with the software. I don't yet have detailed instructions for software that other people have written. All versions of PowerSDR-IQ, Quisk, HDSDR and Rocky are compatible with the Peaberry. Follow their setup directions for a SoftRock/Si570 and choose "Peaberry Radio" for the radio sound card. There are no special steps for a Peaberry.

I use HDSDR to test on the bench. I don't use Windows as my primary OS and this is the only application that runs reliably for me under a VM. I use the ExtIO.DLL from PE0FKO and choose Peaberry Radio for transmit and receive. You seem to have figured all this out already. Indeed, your touchscreen problem is probably not something the author has tested. Please contact him and let him know.

I've done my best to improve entry-level SDR transceiver hardware. Unfortunately, poor software documentation is a problem with all homebrew SDR and I don't currently have resources to improve that. I'm just one guy, not a full company with a dozen or more specialized employees (e.g. Flex-Radio). I apologize if the experience I provide isn't all that you expected.
73 David AE9RB
AE9RB
Site Admin

Postby Ve7pke » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:19 pm

David,
Being a mostly Hardware Guy its always the SW. ;-)
Can you give me more details on how the Keyer inputs are communicated with the outside world via USB. HDSDR seems to have some hooks on the header file for CW key up and down.

// Following status codes (for I/Q transceivers) are processed when VersionInfo delivers
// 0 == strcmp(progname, "HDSDR") && ( ver_major > 2 || ( ver_major == 2 && ver_minor >= 13 ) )

, extHw_TX_Request = 120 // DLL requests TX mode / User pressed PTT
// exciter/transmitter must wait until SetModeRxTx() is called!
, extHw_RX_Request = 121 // DLL wants to leave TX mode / User released PTT
// exciter/transmitter must wait until SetModeRxTx() is called!
, extHw_CW_Pressed = 122 // User pressed CW key
, extHw_CW_Released = 123 // User released CW key
, extHw_PTT_as_CWkey = 124 // handle extHw_TX_Request as extHw_CW_Pressed in CW mode
// and extHw_RX_Request as extHw_CW_Released
, extHw_Changed_ATT = 125 // Attenuator changed => call GetActualAttIdx()

Does that mean that the ExtIO.dll needs the features?

I totally understand the One person company thing, been doing that for 25 years.

I do like HDSDR and will continue to use it especially if I can get the CW working properly. I have send a email about the issue to HDSDR.
Do you Virtualize using VMware on MAC or Linux? I prefer to use OSX but have to slum in Win7 or XP at times. ;-)

Don't need to apologize. I will try to put together a short how to based on what I have learned and I will forward it to you for feedback and once tweaked we can decide where to best post it.
We all need a baseline.

Thanks
Dave
VE7PKE
Ve7pke

Postby AE9RB » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:23 pm

The key jack is read with commands 0x50 and 0x51 as described here:
http://pe0fko.nl/SR-V9-Si570/
I'm not sure if it's HDSDR or the ExtIO.dll that needs more work for key support.

I use a Mac for desktop computing and Linux for application deployments. This web site runs on FreeBSD. The Peaberry firmware runs barefoot; no OS.

This forum is a good place to put any documentation you want to share. Or anything, really, as long as it's not libelous, hateful, or spammy. If you need some phpBB feature turned on, please just ask. It should already allow pictures and attachments.
73 David AE9RB
AE9RB
Site Admin

Postby rw6hch » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:56 pm

For DAVE VE7PKE: CFGSR tell which version you use to work with HDSDR transmitting. I would not succeed.
Boris RW6HCH
rw6hch

Postby Ve7pke » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:54 am

Boris,
Thanks. I have the latest version that is supposed to support TX. My testing shows that you can use the return key to key up but it does not stay in transmit when the return key is held down. Also CFGSR shows that the program sees the paddle input but it seems the DLL does not properly pass that info to HDSDR.
David, do you implement a keyer in the PSOC or do you just pass on the paddle closures? . I see that there is quite a bit of latency in CFGR to see paddle inputs.
It is going to be a challenge to get keying information from the paddle inputs to the DLL then to HDSDR which generates the IQ then back to the sound card. As well as sending the keying data back to the DLL through USB and back to the hardware.

Thanks
Dave
Ve7pke

Next

Return to Peaberry SDR V1