Presoldered peaberry

General discussion and support for the Peaberry SDR V1.

Presoldered peaberry

Postby bfahle » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:07 am

Just a note that it is very difficult to solder in P1 after u11 is already in place. I think I will have to bake it on or something; soldering just made a big mess and pulled one of the pads loose, so I will have to glue the pad back down before I can continue. So, if you do the presoldering, I would recommend attaching P1 beforehand. I don't think any of the other parts are going to be a problem because an ordinary PC board soldering station will have room to work between them. Just a suggestion; I'll probably order mine unsoldered next time just to learn the skill.
bfahle

Re: Presoldered peaberry

Postby AE9RB » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:23 am

The P1 won't survive cheap shipping attached to the board. I found a thru-hole version for the next run of the board. That should be much easier to solder.
73 David AE9RB
AE9RB
Site Admin

Postby bfahle » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:45 pm

Cool, thanks. BTW, you might want to put a listing of your projects here: https://tindie.com/shops/category/amateur-radio/
bfahle

Postby G0XAR » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:08 pm

I had the same problem. What I will probably do is to solder some ribbon connector to the pads and wire them to a connector sitting on the back panel. A through hole connector on the new PCB is a great idea.... It is a great kit though ;-)

73s Steve G0XAR
G0XAR

Postby AE9RB » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:41 pm

I use the following part and feed the cable through the gap in a KM5H case. I added a washer under one of the L brackets to increase the gap. You can hide the cable by pushing it into the case. Connects perfectly to a MiniProg 3 programmer when pulled out.

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/e ... ND/1106576

This is certainly overkill for anyone not developing firmware.
73 David AE9RB
AE9RB
Site Admin

Return to Peaberry SDR V1